Why didn't God in the OT say that He was triune in nature?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Why didn't God in the OT say that He was triune in nature?

Post by Christian2 »

Hello to all,

Do any of you have any thoughts on why God in the Old Testament didn't spell out clearly that He was triune in nature? And, why Jesus didn't specifically say that God was triune in nature in the New Testament?

Before you answer I do believe that God is triune and I have read some scriptures in the Old and New Testaments that would lead me to believe that, but that is not my question. My question is simply why didn't God spell it out for us clearly. What harm would have been done if God in the OT and Jesus in the NT had done exactly that? Actually, if it had been spelled out in the OT, there would have been no need for Jesus to repeat it in the NT.

Thank you
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

He did not spelled out what we wish he should have spelled out maybe because what we wish he should have done is not what he really is. Meaning, maybe God is not really Trinitarian (in the Traditinal sense of the term) that's why he did not spell it out in BOTH Testaments.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

ThirdOption, consider this

Post by Christian2 »

Hi ThirdOption,

This is my thinking at this point in time. :roll:

As you are aware idols were worshipped in the OT and the people thought that there were many gods. Do you think it possible that God knew that He would be thought of as simply three gods if He had explained Father, Son and Holy Spirit and this would have led to a lot of confusion? After all, the people were having enough trouble realizing that the One True God was actually the creator of the world in which they lived. Even when they knew of Him, they still clinged to their little idols. And,

that it was only with the arrival of Jesus Christ that Jesus made this triune God known.

Another question: If God is not triune, then what does that do to the belief that Jesus died for our sins? Does that go out the window? And if it does, then what does it really mean for us to say that we are Christians?

Thanks.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, God is really three. We speak of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Maybe you'll say, "Well, thats' three persons but one essence/nature/substance/being." Tell me, is God (which/who is one) a person or a nature? And this God is one in what?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Why didn't God in the OT say that He was triune in natur

Post by Kurieuo »

Christian2 wrote:Do any of you have any thoughts on why God in the Old Testament didn't spell out clearly that He was triune in nature? And, why Jesus didn't specifically say that God was triune in nature in the New Testament?
I would disagree with this, and believe the concept of the Trinity can be found clearly in both the Old and New Testaments. I believe you even quoted an OT verse once somewhere here which has Trinitarian connotations (i.e., Genesis 1:26) and there's also similarly Genesis 3:22, Genesis 11:7, Isaiah 6:8. Then there's Jacob who wrestled with God—theologically understood to be the Son (Genesis 32:23-30), and then there's Isaiah 9:6 where there is the obvious connection with Christ who is God. And I could point out more, including the Shema itself.

A relevant page on this website which might interest you is http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/triunity.html (also explains the Trinitarian connotations within the Shema).

Kind regards,
Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Question: Is God a person or not?
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

ThirdOption

Post by Christian2 »

Hi ThirdOption,
Question: Is God a person or not?
God is One Being in three "persons," Father, Son (Word) and Holy Spirit.

Regards
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

OT, your points are being discussed within Jesus' death on the cross and the Trinity, so please continue such discussions about "persons" there. The original topic of this thread is to do with the Trinity as in the OT, so any further off-topic posts will be removed.

Thanks,
Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Kurieuo, thank you

Post by Christian2 »

Hi,

The site that you suggested that I take a look at was very helpful.

God bless