Meaning and purpose to Atheists...

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
SnowDrops
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Meaning and purpose to Atheists...

Post by SnowDrops »

No replies?

Well I want to say that I read about Nietzsche and it seems that he died from a "mysterious mental illness". Honestly, I think he collapsed under the stress of trying to accept that there is no objective morality, which he knew his worldview implied. :shakehead:
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
Bill McEnaney
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Post by Bill McEnaney »

B. W. wrote:
humblesmurph wrote:This is only my third post, so there may be a delay. Sorry if this pops up at a stupid time, but being an atheist, I thought it appropriate to post here.

The atheists I know aren't concerned with disproving God. They just don't see a connection between the consequences of a Godless Universe and the actual existence of God. Simply put, even if the atheist believed that their's is a bleak and hopeless existence without God, that belief says nothing about whether there actually is one. That's a separate question.
That's a good point you bring up. I would say that the majority of atheists are not concerned about disproving God. The mititant atheists are the ones that do and grab all the headlines. Most - like to be left alone to live life as best they can midst the backdrop of a bleak and hopeless existence without any purpose y:-?
-
-
-
Maybe most atheists don't try to disprove theism. But you should hear some American atheists complain here in the States when they find a manger scene in a public place or a billboard sign about God. If they get the secular utopia they seem to want, I won't live in it.
Bill McEnaney
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Post by Bill McEnaney »

SnowDrops wrote:No replies?

Well I want to say that I read about Nietzsche and it seems that he died from a "mysterious mental illness". Honestly, I think he collapsed under the stress of trying to accept that there is no objective morality, which he knew his worldview implied. :shakehead:
This (http://www.changinglivesonline.org/item ... eists.html) is a very good lecture where the first few seconds of part one are about Nietzsche.