YEC Cult Characteristics?

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

YEC Cult Characteristics?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Interesting Video Series by a Retired Police Officer that addresses extreme YEC elements as Cult-like.

Worth a listen in my opinion, although I'm sure it will offend some.

http://www.biblicalbackup.com/deceit.html
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: YEC Cult Characteristics?

Post by RickD »

I'm going to watch as soon as I get a chance. I promise I'll try not to get offended, as long as there's no compromise of the plain reading of scripture involved. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I think this is a great video series. Bart, it seems you're not the only one who thinks Ken Ham is heading towards cult-like behavior. The similarities between cults and the YECs in the videos is eerie. The narrator seems to believe that Ham, Hovind, Lisle et al know they are misinterpreting scripture to deceive their followers. And it's hard to disagree with what he has to say.

I challenge any YEC here to watch the 4 videos. I'd like to hear what YECers here have to say.

Bart, have you heard any YEC refutation on the fossil argument he gave?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I haven't heard of any refutation.

I'm trying to figure out more about the former Police Detective giving the talk. He's part of a homeschooling network and I've seen some possible connections with Church of God, Anderson IN which I'm familar with and recall as being a solid evangelical group.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I haven't heard of any refutation.

I'm trying to figure out more about the former Police Detective giving the talk. He's part of a homeschooling network and I've seen some possible connections with Church of God, Anderson IN which I'm familar with and recall as being a solid evangelical group.
His fossil argument against YEC almost seems too simple to be true. Maybe I'm missing something, but it just seems to make sense.

The guy giving the talk has those steps he uses to identify cults. They seem like a good method to me. If he weren't talking about YEC, I'm sure there wouldn't be much disagreement with his results, from any Christian. One thing that I'm questioning, is his possible belief in the ruination or gap theory. While the gap theory provides an answer to YECs about their belief that God didn't create a world full of death and suffering, I think the gap theory has other issues it needs to deal with. Here's what Hugh Ross says about the gap theory. The article is 11 years old, but Reasons.org still has it on their site:
http://www.tedmontgomery.com/bblovrvw/C ... heory.html

And an article from Rich:http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/gap.html

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Not going to bite ... trying not to ... urge to type ... resist, resist ... apparent success - at least, so far.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Available in stores today. AIG coolaid. :shakehead:

Watched 1st, and will watch others when get time.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Would be interested in your thoughts Jlay.

I think there are cults that incorporate YEC and perhaps there are some extremes of YEC that could be characterized that way. I wouldn't make a blanket assessment of the whole movement.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

After watching video 1.
Picking on AIG's financial statement and Ham's 120k salary (heaven forbid) are dirty debate tactics, and has ZERO to do with whether they are right or wrong.
Building a case against mormanism, JWs and Heaven's gate, which have nothing to do with the subject matter, is another sketchy tactic.

Hovind is a moron, but i already knew that.

Off to minister the Gospel, will watch the others later.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:
Off to minister the Gospel, will watch the others later.
Young Earthers. :shakehead: You need to get your priorities straight. :pound:
jlay wrote:
Hovind is a moron, but i already knew that.
Ad hominem attacks are very unbecoming of you, jlay. y[-( :lol:
Canuckster1127 wrote:
I think there are cults that incorporate YEC and perhaps there are some extremes of YEC that could be characterized that way. I wouldn't make a blanket assessment of the whole movement.
I thought the speaker was referring to specific YECs? Just the ones he mentioned by name, not all YECs? Just the YECs who take their YEC beliefs to a cult-like status?

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

-Edward R Murrow

Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Ham's compensation isn't $120K by the way. It's closer to $180K. Of every dollar given to AIG about 20% goes to fund raising and administrative costs.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Ham's compensation isn't $120K by the way. It's closer to $180K. Of every dollar given to AIG about 20% goes to fund raising and administrative costs.
Where'd you get that from?

-Edward R Murrow

Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

RickD wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:Ham's compensation isn't $120K by the way. It's closer to $180K. Of every dollar given to AIG about 20% goes to fund raising and administrative costs.
Where'd you get that from?

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/cinc ... rg-ky-8930
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Fund Raising

Method(s) Used:

direct mail appeals, invitations to fundraising events, radio appeals, Internet
Fundraising costs were 19% of related contributions. (Related contributions, which totaled $8,311,035, are donations received as a result of fundraising activities.)
Tax Status

This charity is tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. It is eligible to receive contributions deductible as charitable donations for federal income tax purposes.
Total Income $22,078,448
Creation is big business, isn't it? And tax exempt too?

Grandpa: Little Johnny, what do you want to be when you grow up? A doctor? A lawyer? President?

Little Johnny: Heck no grandpa! I want to be rich! Doctors and lawyers pay too much taxes! I wanna run a church! :esurprised:

-Edward R Murrow