How do we know that God is infinite?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Tevko
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

How do we know that God is infinite?

Post by Tevko »

This question hit me today and left me a bit confused. If someone asked you how you knew that God is infinite, what would your answer be?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: How do we know that God is infinite?

Post by Jac3510 »

Because since God is the First Cause He cannot be caused to be. But anything that is finite must have a causal explanation (even if only logical rather than chronological) as to why it has this definition/limit rather than that one. Therefore, the First Cause cannot be finite. Therefore, the First Cause is infinite. Therefore, God is infinite.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Yep. You could also look at what God isn't. He isn't contingent. He is not even contingent on the universe existing. When we speak of infinite, we tend to do so with time and the universe in mind. But infinite time is not a thing. Time is a product of the universe. Therefore we can say that God is not finite. When the universe came to be, time, as we know it, came to be. In other words a succession of events. We could trace those events back to an alpha point. We would say, "God existed before the universe," but this probably falls short, since before implies just another event prior to time. God exists outside of time, and is self-existant. (Aseity) Although he can and does work things out in the time of our universe, He isn't constrained by time, or contingent to what occurs within it, and is therefore infinite.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Tevko wrote:This question hit me today and left me a bit confused. If someone asked you how you knew that God is infinite, what would your answer be?
Well, that would depend on one notion of God.
Infinite means without end and if by GOD we mean a being outside time then "end or beginning" has no meaning.
If by GOD we mean the greatest thing that can be conceived then, since we can conceive the finite, GOD must therefore be greater than finite, hence infinite.
Of course none of that can be proven BUT it can be "known" in the same sense that we can KNOW anything else that can't be proven.