spontaneous creation

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Mircea
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

spontaneous creation

Post by Mircea »

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on spontaneous creation. Hawking claims there is no need for a creator to "set the Universe going"

Here's a link for more details:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11161493
Reactionary
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: spontaneous creation

Post by Reactionary »

I like this article, it explains the whole issue thoroughly and in detail:
http://www.bethinking.org/science-chris ... g-bang.htm

Or, simply put by the author of our site:
http://godandscience.org/apologetics/ha ... ssary.html

By the way, welcome to the forum, Mircea. Why don't you introduce yourself in the thread on the General Chit-Chat subforum?
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Welcome also from me, Mircea.

You may be interested what Hawking said in his book:
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 15#p100026

P.S.: I also have not introduce myself in the subforum. Should I? ;)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

1over137 wrote:P.S.: I also have not introduce myself in the subforum. Should I? ;)
No, you're familiar. You put a link to your own website and all. :mrgreen:
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Spontaneous creation seems rather "supernatural' doesn't it?
;P
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

PaulSacramento wrote:Spontaneous creation seems rather "supernatural' doesn't it?
;P
You're right, it seems. It isn't such, however. We're genetically preconditioned to believe in the supernatural because of survival advantages - i.e. harmony in tribes that evolved into what we know as social groups today. It's far from easy to break this delusion, but it's slowly becoming evident that the society is evolving to succeed in that feat, thus replacing the outdated concept of worshipping an invisible, bearded old man in the sky.

:pound: Just kidding, of course.

--Reactionary
twinc
Established Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by twinc »

it seems it is pasteur rememberance that it has been proved that only life begets life[Pasteur] - twinc
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

twinc wrote:it seems it is pasteur rememberance that it has been proved that only life begets life[Pasteur] - twinc
Great scientists will be quoted only when their words are compatible with beliefs of the person quoting.

--Reactionary
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

Reactionary wrote:
twinc wrote:it seems it is pasteur rememberance that it has been proved that only life begets life[Pasteur] - twinc
Great scientists will be quoted only when their words are compatible with beliefs of the person quoting.
guess you missed I said proved not believed - twinc
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

I missed a meeting, when was this proved?
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

Proinsias wrote:I missed a meeting, when was this proved?
it was not a meeting - it was a post,the one above - have a quick squint and absorb - twinc
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

I was under the impression Pasteur got rid of commonly held notions such as piles of rubbish produce rats. He didn't prove that only life can beget life he simply showed that the most probable explanation for new lifeforms was that they were descended from current lifeforms which seems fair enough to me, to extend that to all life on earth must have a living cause is well beyond the scope of Pasteur's experiments and to me rather lame as a proof that only life begets life.
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

Proinsias wrote:I was under the impression Pasteur got rid of commonly held notions such as piles of rubbish produce rats. He didn't prove that only life can beget life he simply showed that the most probable explanation for new lifeforms was that they were descended from current lifeforms which seems fair enough to me, to extend that to all life on earth must have a living cause is well beyond the scope of Pasteur's experiments and to me rather lame as a proof that only life begets life.
in the beginning "the Way,Truth and Life of the world created all life" - non has been or can be created in the Labs or anywhere else - twinc
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

I gather that's what you believe but saying that the way, truth and life of the world created all life isn't much of a proof in my book. It's an unprovable theological and philosophical position.

Creating life in labs doesn't really conflict with your stance, humans creating non-human life doesn't break your so called law of only life begetting life.

It seems you along with many other disagree with the idea of molecules to man, which is fair enough, but I'm not seeing much substance behind your particular claim.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

It seems you along with many other disagree with the idea of molecules to man, which is fair enough, but I'm not seeing much substance behind your particular claim.
Proinsias, you're asking for a lot from twinc. He doesn't do "substance". He does dogmatism.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony