A brief look at the Gap Theory

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

A brief look at the Gap Theory

Post by Jac3510 »

I've always dismissed the Gap Theory out of hand, but a book entitled The Invisible War has made me step back to re-examine it. First, let me briefly note that "examining" doesn't mean "considering accepting." This is especially true considering many of the extrapolations from the theory . . . there are, though, some things I think we need to be honest with and deal with, concerning it's Scriptural claims. I wanted to get y'alls opinions on the matter.

First, if you aren't familiar with the theory, Rich has written an article that details some of its specifics. You may want to read the summary there. With that said, I think the emphasis on hayah is totally misplaced. "Was" or "had become" really isn't the primary point, oddly enough. Even if it were, I doubt any of us here are that advanced in our Hebrew studies to be able to do any more than quote a commentary we read on the subject--you can always find authorities to support your claims!

Let's, instead, look at the conjunction (or the lack-there-of) between 1:1 and 1:2. Rich notes in the listed article that both OEC's and GT's would accept a gap between 1:1 and 1:2. If you check the LXX, they translate the opening words of Gen. 1:2 with en de. En, roughly, means "was," and de is a very, very weak connective word that shows contrast (usually). In Greek, de rarely starts a sentence (unlike kai), so we aren't suprised it doesn't start here. Unfortunately, I can't read Hebrew, so I don't know what the opening conjunction in 1:2 is, but, if we are to accept the authority of the LXX, should one exist at all (the Greek method of writing was to always start with a conjunction, especially de or kai) . . . the NASB simply renders 1:2 "The earth was . . ."

So, exegetically, there is no Scriptural basis, it seems to me, for arguing that 1:1 and 1:2 form a continuous, unbreakable thought. We could probably put the English "now" at the beginning of 1:2 and have an acceptable translation. If nothing else, the LXX allows for this--"now" is well within the semantic range of de.

Look at Genesis 1:1-2 this way for the reason for that digression:
  • In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Now, the earth was formless and void . . .
Can you see that the aspect of "was" (hayah doesn't matter? "Was" can convey the same meaning as "has become" if we put a "now" there, as this idea seems to support. If anyone has any critical commentary at this point, it would be much appreciated. So, we have the assertion: God created everything. Pause. Next assertion: Now (at this time), the earth was formless and void.

The word here for "formless and void" is tohu. This is important . . . God created the earth--now it was tohu. Flip over to Isaiah 45:18. There, Isaiah states:
  • He is the God who formed the earth and made it, He established it and did not create it a waste place(NASB)
What do you think the word for "waste place" is? Tohu. Rich notes this in his article, but, unfortunately, he sort of lets it slide.

So, we have this statement: God created the world. He did not create it tohu. Now, the world was tohu.

See why I said "had become" doesn't matter? God did not create the earth in one state, but, later, it is in that state. "Was" or "had become" will convey the same message. Neither support or reject the position!

Before I briefly mention Satan's role in this, I want to ask if anyone is aware of any examples where a word's semantic range actually includes it's antonym. Paul and James could use "justified" differently . . . that's quite different from saying that Moses and Isaiah used tohu differently! Rich, and others who reject GT, argue that with Isaiah it is a matter of intention. God did not intend to create the world tohu . . . He intended to create it to be inhabited, as the verse goes on to say. But, the fact is, Isaiah flat states, "He did not create the world [/i]tohu[/i]." Yes, He intended to fill it, which is why He didn't create it that way. That's the common sense, grammatical reading of the text.

So, if the world was originally NOT tohu, what was it? If it wasn't "formless and void" or "a waste place," what was it? I think proponents of GT go to far in asserting that it was populated by a pre-adamic race and then Satan fell and destroyed everything. That's silly, in my humble opinion. Some have argued, more plausibly, that Satan was given rule over this universe, which certainly seems to be the case. He is called a number of things, and many of his titles state very clearly that he is in charge of this world (under, of course, the overarching will of God). If nothing else, consider the Temptation of Christ. How could Satan have given to Jesus what was not his? Now, when was he given the world? It certainly would not have been in his fallen state, and to suggest that Satan "took" it seems to imply a weakness in God. No, Satan had to have been given it . . . so, some argue that at Satan's fall, it was God, NOT SATAN, that struck the universe, and that made it tohu. This was an act of judgement. Satan wanted to be like the Most High . . . he wanted to have the world he had been given to rule for himself. Fine. God let him have his way, as He so often does, but with the consequence that Satan would now be ruling a ruined world!

Some of that gets theoretical, obviously, but it answers a few questions about Satan in general that seems to fit his overall character. I don't think this particular interpretation stands too much against a literal interpretation of Genesis 1. The burning question, if we consider this scenario plausible, is, "What was the state of the world prior to God's inflicting it due to Satan's fall?"

As an aside, I'll say my biggest theological problem is in God's accouncement that the "recreated world" (or refashioned, both labels under this view) was "good." If we already have a fallen Satan, does this not contradict God's own view point? Or does His statement only refer to His work, which, of course, was good, and not to the whole of creation? And, if it is contradictory, what do we do with Isaiah 45:18, and what exactly was Satan's role prior to his fall. When and how did he get dominion over the earth?

Some food for thought . . . comments?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by RGeeB »

Have you looked at Job 38:1-16 Jac? Notice especially verse 7 - It states that ALL of the angels sang for joy when God was creating - like cheerleading!

Now, people talk about man handing over the God given lease of this world to satan. I see the garden of eden as some sort of control centre on this earth. It probably is not governed by the same physical laws of entropy and could possibly be another realm - gaurded by angels with the flaming swords. The language used in the Bible to describe all this is fairly simple - Even a child can fantasise about how it could have been, in the beginning..

God bless your efforts Jac - he has given you the wisdom to search out these matters!
Maranatha!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Hi Jac,

You might remember some time ago you PMed me (on the old board) regarding a message of mine detailing the creation of light within Genesis creation, which basically was the general rendering of a Day-Age interpretation. We touched on the topic of the collision, said to have formed Earth's moon, and allowed much of Earth's thick atmosphere to be blown away (which allowed light to make it to Earth's surface). I believe the discussion touched upon whether verse 2 related to a pre- or post-collision. I said I'd detail my thoughts further, but don't believe I ever got around to doing so. So I will do so now (and I do so here as it is related to the concept of hayah being rendered "became" and tohu as formless and void). Whether my following rendering is true or not, well it is only speculation, but it does appear to fit the early passages in Genesis 1.

Now in verse 1 God made the heavens and earth (space, matter, time and energy). And then we hit verse two, where let us assume the view that Genesis 1:2 should be rendered the "earth became formless and void." Thus, Earth had been existing, but what made it become tohu? The collision scenario I detailed a while ago, seems to fit well. It blew a lot of Earth's atmosphere into space. Then after this catastrophic event, Earth's surface became molten, before cooling down and a crust developed. This state is tohu perhaps?

Now in the middle of verse 2 we know Earth's surface was shrouded in darkness. Darkness on Earth's surface is something I'm certain we could expect would to be present for some time after the catastrophic collision. To further support the collision event from Scripture, within the Job 38:9 it has, "when I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in thick darkness." The word for "clouds" is ‛ărâphel, and according to Strong's dictionary implies "gloom" and "dark" and the BDB dictionary plainly writes, "heavy or dark cloud." Dark clouds would be expected (I think) to have covered Earth for sometime after a massive collision. Eventually, atmospheric temperatures dropped and water vapor began to rain down and water fell onto the crust to form seas, where the Spirit of God hovered or brooded over. As we hit verse 3, light begins seeping through the thinning dark clouds ("Let there be light"). Whereby, the first "day" (yom) of creation ends.

The second day hits us straight up, it seems, with the water cycle being more fully stabilised and developed, perhaps being lead into from day 1. The cycle of condensation and precipitation begins to take off more fully, with liquid water, snow and ice evapourating then condensing and falling back to Earth again. Clouds begin moving across the sky, Earth's atmosphere becomes more stable, etc.

I believe this presents a satisfactory exegesis. As for God not making it a "waste place" (Isaiah 45:18), I see no problems as God didn't create a waste place, but rather created and shaped Earth for life. This is what the verse intends, and whether Earth was "once" a waste place at a certain stage I believe is irrelevant, as God fashioned it to contain life. Yet, if so desired, one could perhaps say when Lucifer was thrown down that he was the one the made Earth become tohu as the Gap Theorists (GTs) believe. Maybe God literally did throw him out of heaven and Lucifer was the thing that hit Earth even, making it tohu? (not that I seriously believe this ;)). I personally think GTs have read far too much into the text with the role they assign Satan, but there seems to be a romantic aspect to Satan's involvement that seems appealing.

Kurieuo.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Re: A brief look at the Gap Theory

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:So, exegetically, there is no Scriptural basis, it seems to me, for arguing that 1:1 and 1:2 form a continuous, unbreakable thought. We could probably put the English "now" at the beginning of 1:2 and have an acceptable translation. If nothing else, the LXX allows for this--"now" is well within the semantic range of de.
I looked into this a while back to test out Rich's claims of a conjunction in his article at The Literal Interpretation of the Genesis One Creation Account. At first I thought he was just reading the KJV version where "And" pretty much begins every single verse in Genesis 1. My further examination revealed that verse 2 does lead on from verse 1. The Hebrew letter waw, is often used as a conjunction, and it is present at the beginning of verse 2.

I also questioned Rich directly at the same time, and he quoted the following:
'“Waw” is the name of the Hebrew letter which is used as a conjunction. It can mean “and”, “but”, “now”, “then”, and several other things depending upon the context and type of waw involved.' It occurs at the beginning of Genesis 1:2 and is translated in the KJV, 'And [waw] the earth was without form, and void.' Plaintiffs use this translation to support the gap theory. However, the most straightforward reading of the text sees verse 1 of Genesis 1 as the principal subject-and-verb clause, with verse 2 containing three 'circumstantial clauses'. 'This is what [Hebrew grammarian] Gesenius terms a “waw explicativum” [also called waw copulative or waw disjunctive] or explanatory waw, and compares it to the English “to wit”.'[Fields] Such a waw disjunctive is easy to tell from the Hebrew, because it is formed by waw followed by a non-verb. It introduces a parenthetic statement, that is, it's alerting the reader to put the following passage in brackets, as it were — a descriptive phrase about the previous noun. It does not indicate something following in a time sequence — this would have been indicated by a different Hebrew construction called the waw consecutive, where waw is followed by a verb (the waw consecutive is in fact used before the different days of creation) [Dr Doug Kelly ] Thus the Hebrew grammar shows that a better translation of Genesis 1:2 would be, 'Now the earth …', and it could be paraphrased, 'Now as far as the earth was concerned …' The court will please observe that this is how the Tanakh translates the verse, as I have pointed out above. Actually, It is as if Moses, by the use of such a joining word, is going out of his way to stress that there is no break between the two verses.

(http://2047.rapidforum.com/topic=100287896094)
This text additionally reveals that verse 2 contains circumstantial clauses from verse one, which Rich believed made a stronger case for conjunction existing (or at least the "continuing" reflection upon verse 1 existing into verse 2) than he developed.

Kurieuo.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

But God made the moon on day 4 Kurieo; how does this fit with the interpretation that Earth had a massive collision between vs 1 and 2?

Kurieuo: Sorry Felgar. I slipped up and pressed edit on your message rather than quote and I couldn't reobtain the rest of your message :oops: Many apologies. :(
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Those who generally believe in the 24-hour day interpretation of yom (translated into English as "day") believe the Sun, moon and stars to be created on day four. However, I follow a different exegesis. I am congenial to the Day-Age interpretation. For more information about this position, including information about day four, please read http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/genesis1.html.

This interpretation has been observed by the evangelical International Council of Biblical Inerrancy as acceptable. If this organisation is unfamiliar to you, the ICBI are, in their own words, "a united effort of theologians and Christian leaders from many denominations to clarify and reaffirm historic, biblical doctrines that are presently being confused, undermined or replaced with false teaching or outright heresy" (http://www.churchcouncil.org/).

At the second summit of the ICBI, the issue of the age of the universe and earth was on the agenda. Several papers were presented and after long deliberations, the conclusion of all the theologians and Old Testament scholars present was that inerrancy requires belief in creation but not in 24-hour creation days. Dr. James Sawyer of Western Seminary pointed out that when the ICBI was formed in 1978, “the founding membership held over 30 discrete positions with reference to the interpretation of Genesis 1. Only one of these positions involved a 6-day recent creation.” Apparently, most of those on the council felt that the book of God's words did not demand that the days of creation be considered standard 24-hour days (http://www.bible.org/docs/soapbox/scholars/hardcat.htm)."

Additionally, Gleason Archer (who sadly died :(), was a leading Hebrew professor. In his book A Survey of Old Testament Introduction, he writes, "On the basis of internal evidence, it is this writer's conviction that yom [the Hebrew word for day] in Genesis one could not have been intended by the Hebrew author to mean a literal twenty-four-hour day." John Ankerberg of the Ankerberg Theological Research Institute reminisces, "Gleason Archer has taught most of your Hebrew scholars. He graduated from Harvard with his Ph.D. I think he knows like 22 different languages. He used to take notes in Hittite when he was in class. I used to quote from the lexicon and he would say, "That's wrong," and he would correct the lexicon. I never knew anybody who corrected the dictionary. He'd write a letter and they would correct it" (http://www.ankerberg.com/Articles/science/SC0201W3.htm).

You might be wondering why I point this all out? I point this out because most evangelical Christians are only familiar with one interpretation of Genesis, that is, that which Creation Science advertises. A large proportion of these Christians tend to also see any other interpretation as unbiblical and as challenging the authority of Scripture. The reality is that there is great exegetical support for some of these other interpretations as evidenced by the ICBI and Gleason Archer with regards to non-24 day interpretations. Therefore if one is concerned about Scriptural soundness of Old Earth interpretations, they can be assured by leading evangelicals who hold inerrancy, that many are sound. It is only when you get into theistic evolution (which the Day-Age interpretation doesn't advocate), that the ICBI draws a line.

Kurieuo.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

I see... For the sake of harmony I'll not debate that interpretation here.

Thx for the link btw. :)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Unfortunately, GT is tied very, very strongly into Satanology. I don't really know that you could take Satan's fall out of the picture and still say you subscribe to the theory. I would agree, K, that GT's pull way to much from their reference's.

As for some specifics . . . RGeeB: I need to do my own studies more on Satan's role. I'm not saying that Satan created the world. I am saying it is exegetically possible that God created the world and gave it over to Satan in his unfallen state, and that his initial role had something to do with the governance of this cosmos. Naturally, his fall would have some effect on the universe as a whole, under that particular idea. Again, I'm not saying I absolutely think this is true. I'm just saying that the position appears to be valid.

In any case, I don't think that man gave this world to Satan. God owns it, so God has to give it. If Satan owns it, then it seems to me that God had to give it to him. Otherwise, Satan really wouldn't own it at all . . .

K: I do remember that PM, and your exegesis appears sound on the surface. I'll have to look into it some more. One important question would be verifiability--you make some pretty explicit claims. Where does that fall within the actual claims of astronomy concerning dates and what not? Also, I seem to recall there being some question regarding the waters after that. I'll have to sift through my PMs and review that. Anyway, there is some corroboration that needs to be done, I think.

As to hayah, as I said before, it doesn't matter to me at all if you render it "was" or "became." Both can hold the exact same message. The big question is on that waw. I'll look into it some myself, but one thing that I learned in my Greek class (so this may or may not apply to Hebrew) is that some of these functions assigned to phrases aren't actual Greek Grammar. For example, consider one of our favorite verses, John 11:35. Most Bibles simply render it "Jesus wept." But, A. T. Robertson says it should be rendered "Jesus burst into tears." The difference seems unimportant, but the reason for the difference is not at all. He says the verb is ingressive aorist. If he is right, then the verb focuses on the beginning of the action rather than the action itself. For another example, consider Matt. 4:11. The NASB says, "Angels came and began to minister to Him." The NIV renders it, "Angels came and ministered to him." You can see that the NASB puts emphasis on the beginning of, or the initiation of, the action. (side note, I agree with the NASB here. The NIV totally ignores the imperfect case and treats the word as a constative aorist, and it is simply not in the aorist tense!). Back to John 11:35, then, the word for "wept" is not considered ingressive by most, but rather constative.

(Note: for those who don't know or didn't catch it by context, ingressive verbs emphasize the beginning of an event (Jesus began teaching, rather than Jesus taught or Jesus was teaching. Constative verbs do not give us precise information on the nature of the action--it simply states a fact.)

The thing about these arguments is that such ideas as constative, iterative, ingressive, gnomic, tendential, progressive, and other such usages of verbs are completely artificial. That is, they are not matters of grammar, but matters of syntax. For example, in Luke 4:4, the word "to live" is zesetai. Grammatically, we know that it is a verb, future middle indicative, third person singular. We know that from the text itself. But, in Greek, there are three uses of verbs in this case: predictive, imperatival, and gnomic. Most would agree that the word in this verse is being used in the gnomic sense (stating a general event will occur, or asserting the validity of some general truth: no time reference involved). But, you could perhaps argue that it is being used imperativally . . . here, it becomes a command, not a truth. Hmm . . . that could preach. You could build a sermon on that! (You'd be wrong, of course, because you'd be taking it out of context . . . )

ANYWAY, that's a long digression, but here is my point: I'm not a Hebrew scholar, so anything beyond basic lexical entries I can't really put any stock in. To insist that the conjunction is Genesis 1:2 is a way copulative instead of some other usage is an over assertion, at least for me, assuming this is a matter of context and not grammar. This strikes me as a comparison to the usage of Greek parsing, which is up for debate, rather than the parsing itself, which is not (something is either first person and a verb or it isn't!). Now, if you are going to tell me that the Hebrew here is a matter of grammar . . . that is, we are talking case, aspect, and other such objective material, you've got a great point. But, I doubt, from the immense discussion on the matter, that it is. I could be wrong, of course, but this looks like an argument about usage. Sure, it may very well be, and probably is, a waw copulative, but GT's may argue for another usage. Grammatically speaking, they could very well be correct, just as Robertson could be correct in his insistence that "wept" in John 11:35 is an ingressive aorist rather than a constative aorist!

It still, then, seems to me that the syntax CAN support the GT's theory. If so, I guess it is strictly a matter of our interpretation of Satan's fall and initial role, wouldn't it be?

All this over one little word in Isaiah . . . stupid tohu :p
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Ole
Newbie Member

Post by Ole »

just wanted to post a link to many articles about it http://www.creationdays.dk

God bless

Ole
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I am of the belief that Genesis 1.1 describes the original creation, and that a time gap occurs between Genesis 1.1 and Genesis 1. 2. They translate the latter 'and the earth BECAME without form and waste'. This latter situation is usually connected by them with the fall of the Devil and his angels. This then leaves room for as many millions of years as they believe the fossils require, while at the same time usually accepting that the seven days are literal twenty-four hour days during which God regenerated the world.
The main problem with this theory is that, although the word for 'was' can sometimes be translated 'became' (Hebrew words were not as exact as in more modern languages), this is usually only when the context makes this clear. However in this context it is far from clear. Indeed, the connection between 1.1 and 1.2 is so close and specific that it must be considered extremely doubtful whether the verses can be separated in this way. The writer could not, in fact, have made the connection any closer (there are no verse divisions in the original). The Hebrew is - 'ha aretz (the earth) we ha aretz (and the earth)' - and thus we read '---created the heavens and the earth, and the earth was ---'. The second verse is describing what was the condition of what was created, not what became of it.

In Christ,
Fr Andrew
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

I am wondering if anyone has heard of an idea I saw on another thread in which there were two floods in Genesis and not just one. If you look at Genesis 1:2 it says that there was water everywhere. Someone from the same website said that the universe may have been a liquid at one time which would fit perfectly. The dinasours could have been destroyed in that flood and 2 Peter 3:5 is talking about the original flood in Genesis 1:2 not about Noah's flood. I think that idea makes more sense than the original way the gap theory was presented.
bluesman
Established Member

Gap Theory and 1st flood

Post by bluesman »

http://www.christiangeology.com/

Above is a link to a site that deal in depth about the Gap theory, the 1st flood,
among other topics.

Its pretty heavy reading in some spots so plan to read it over a few days.
I read most of it now, but on second reading picking up things I missed on the
first reading.

I really haven't formed a position on it, but it sure is an interesting theory,that
smoothes out some conflicts with science.

http://www.christiangeology.com/

Signed Mike
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

Thanks for the site! I like what I have read so far but I wish they wouldn't insist that the KJV is the only reliable translation, that just isn't true, especially if you look at Genesis 6. The term "giants" of the KJV is not the correct term.
Ole
Newbie Member

Post by Ole »

Hi

see also http://www.creationdays.dk with a whole lot of articles by many authors

Ole
smrpgx
Acquainted Member

Post by smrpgx »

I don't know if the gap theory is true or not, but I don't care either.
It is not in the Bible, therefore it's not inspired, and therefore is insignificant.