Start with Scripture?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Start with Scripture?

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I don't think that scripture is not an objective source of truth, it holds many objective truths, but it is still subject to all the associated nuances of being written by humans. I thought that's why Jesus sent his spirit, to guide us, if scripture was infallible, why would we need or require the spirit?
If this were true God could not judge any human justly.Nobody will be able to stand before God and say your word said this and it was wrong?You are simply letting everybody know that you cannot put your faith in the bible,God's word 100% because it can have flaws because humans wrote it and they are flawed.

But you must ignore 2nd Timothy 3:16 to think like this.You might be frustrated with what seems like so many different interpretations but if you'd study God's word to where you know it,you'd be able to tell who's right and who's wrong in their interpretation.

This is not a salvation issue but an issue of people not knowing God's word enough to know who's right and who's wrong and how we need to be willing to admit we don't know yet or when we do to change our mind to line up with God's word,not man's truth,interpretation or opinions it is our own responsibility to "Let God be true and every man a liar."
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Thanks D220 for targeting my questions.
I appreciate your responses.
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:At the end of the day, you all (PaulS, Neo, Can, Dan) use Scripture as a source of truth. Why?
Does something have to be inerrant and infallible to divide truth from it? I don't think so.
In order to be a warranted or "justified belief" then each belief ought to be justifed.
For example, how do you justify your belief in the Trinity or that Christ is God?
You can just cherry pick as you "feel" and call that the spirit, but such is quite a weak position.
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Are you not "also" making it into a "god" treating it as such? Why not?
Possibly, at the end of the day I just have faith in Christ and the relationship I have with him, I can put the Bible, theology, philosophy and even science aside because it doesn't compare to a real relationship with God himself.
You have faith in a "feeling"? Not warranted belief?
If faith is based upon reason, then you must have reasons to believe in your relationship with Him (and I don't deny that you do have a relationship since I myself feel such too).
But, what reasons? How can you put your "feelings of relationship" before Bible, theology, philosophy and even science?
My Mum one said God told her to leave my Dad, and she left to move in with another man. Was she wrong?
What of Muslims who have their own divine experiences. Surely they're justified in the same manner.
D220 wrote:
K wrote:If we believe that God's natural world to be a source of inerrant truth, then is this also placing nature above God?
I don't believe the natural world is inerrant truth or at least our understanding of it, the natural world like scripture can be wrongly interpreted or even corrupted (sin entered the world (what effect did that sin have on nature??) maybe that shaped the evidence to be wrongly interpreted), evolution is a great example, it can still be wrong, I admit that.
That's fair. This is no different from say many "conservative evangelicals" who believe in Scripture.
Corruption must be proven, and those who believe it can be trusted must equally carry a burden of proof.

I note from previous posts, you have some confusion here -- PaulS and NeoX seem more set.
Canuck I'm surprised by and not sure what he believes.
D220 wrote:
K wrote:Why not, if you think considering ALL Scripture as an objective source of truth is?
I don't think that scripture is not an objective source of truth, it holds many objective truths, but it is still subject to all the associated nuances of being written by humans. I thought that's why Jesus sent his spirit, to guide us, if scripture was infallible, why would we need or require the spirit?
You know that Jesus sent the Holy Spirit due to....? Scripture.
And you trust Scripture accurately recorded the meaning of Christ's words.
Thankfully we can also experience the Spirit to a degree.

Scripture is just a source of truth, that's all I'd argue for.
Meaning where it touches upon reality and is properly understood as originally penned and intended then I'd accept it as truth.
Mind you, I'll admit that this is the most faith-based belief I have; in the sense that I can't prove Scripture is inerrant but I can justify many so-called errors (which I did many years ago with critics).
Such that being able to resolve 99% or so errors, gives me more faith in Scripture than not... which plausibly places it as a source of truth on my table of possible beliefs, that I then choose to accept as authoritative. So it isn't proven 100% (if anything ever is), but is evidenced to me as being reasonable to accept Scripture as reliable because it is hard to fault beyond all reasonable doubt.

Likewise it might be asked if nature was infallible, why would we need or require the Spirit?
The Spirit bears witness with us, to actually verify what is already obvious but clouded because we choose to bury God.
He guides and consoles us. You don't know that you're being carried until you see the footprints looking back on your life. That is the work of the Spirit.
Being "born again," the spiritual experience that many feel is I'd believe the Spirit bearing witness with us.
During worship, or maybe prayer, or something other -- if you feel connected with God then the Spirit bears witness with us.
This doesn't give exact truths, but it does provide some sort of verification if you will. At least, this is all my thinking.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Some food for thought. Of reformed theologians I find more good nuggets with Tim Keller than many others.
We also thought it was important to begin our confession with God rather than with Scripture. This is significant. The Enlightenment was overconfident about human rationality. Some strands of it assumed it was possible to build systems of thought on unassailable foundations that could be absolutely certain to unaided human reason.

Despite their frequent vilification of the Enlightenment, many conservative evangelicals have nevertheless been shaped by it. This can be seen in how many evangelical statements of faith start with the Scripture, not with God. They proceed from Scripture to doctrine through rigorous exegesis in order to build (what they consider) an absolutely sure, guaranteed-true-to-Scripture theology.

The problem is that this is essentially a foundationalist approach to knowledge. It ignores the degree to which our cultural location affects our interpretation of the Bible, and it assumes a very rigid subject-object distinction. It ignores historical theology, philosophy, and cultural reflection.

Starting with the Scripture leads readers to the over confidence that their exegesis of biblical texts has produced a system of perfect doctrinal truth. This can create pride and rigidity because it may not sufficiently acknowledge the fallenness of human reason.

We believe it is best to start with God, to declare (with John Calvin, Institutes 1.1) that without knowledge of God we cannot know ourselves, our world, or anything else. If there is no God, we would have no reason to trust our reason.

~ D. A. Carson and Timothy Keller, Gospel-Centered Ministry (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2011), 6 in Bird, Evangelical Theology, 93, n. 11.
Question does come to this:

Can a one really know God personally without the bible?

If so, how could you be sure if you are correct y:-?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

K, I get your frustration, I feel the same when I am judged over and over again and others don't see what I see.

I really don't get the whole inerrant thing, so lets say its inerrant, so what , that flies full in the face of evidence, how do you square that? Do I reject the word of a person who lived 4 thousand years ago or the evidence, that I can see (and which proves) otherwise. Do you think such a decision is easy to make? the easy thing is to push the evidence under the rug, call it man's word, call it off as a conspiracy, thump your bible and call everyone else a liar or worse, deceived. That is a judgement call, its pretty easy to make, rather than fighting with your own doubts we become firm.

I went through a serious evaluation of my faith, I am sure at some time you may have gone through yours. And no matter to what end we got, I hope you can attest to the fact that it is quite impact-full on how we view things, look at conversions from YEC to OEC or like in Jac or Jilay for example, from OEC to YEC. I am convinced they we all see meaning full things in the views we have.

I reject the genesis story and I get a hard time. The only difference is that I don't sugar coat scripture to fit my view, I don't call it allegorical. I don;t think its written as allegory. And I know what I think of it now, raises serious problems, but I am really left with no choice. A person like ACB can form a cocoon of denial of evidence (Gap theory in this case)and reject it on any basis and be free from the problems that exist. You do the same but in a different way, I have shown you more than once that humans come from more than one couple and you have never refuted it properly. But you deny it all the same, in face of proof which is undeniable. I am sure you think such things may always change or may be there is a fault in our calculations and on that I can not help you anymore than I can help a person prove that 2+2 does not equals to 4. Perhaps you want things to stay as they are. But this fact is not changing because of our markings of the DNA.

Anyway, from where I stand, the bible has a lot of things I value. I was raised in the belief that this book was inerrant. Sorry but my confidence in that statement has been shattered.

Do I reject all of it? no. Was it written all at once? no. Then why on earth would you like to treat all books the same way? It can be treated book to book as a matter of fact that is also the way the canon was compiled.

I do hold objective truths out of the bible but I also hold value to things outside the bible which we know to be true. So you will say why believe in Christ or think the Resurrection story is true? because I think its possible, because I think it makes sense with what happened later or any other logical conclusions which may lead me to see that the Resurrection could certainly happen. But more so because I believe it, because I know Christ. So why can't I still trust or believe the genesis story? because now its not a matter of how fantastic the story is or how sovereign God could be. The facts go against it and since I don't think God could be at fault, I can only surmise that the story is.

As far as objective truth is concerned, no, when it comes to burning the witch or stoning the whores I don't take it as an objective model to follow, neither do you. So we already divide among the scriptures of what is objective and what is not. Do you accept all scripture as is? You don't. I challenge you that the Bible doesn't support OEC. You have stretch it to make it such. In its own reading it sounds VERY VERY Yec, with multiple references to 6 day creations unless you knew about the an old earth, the idea wouldn't fly. And it wasn't until the last few centuries that it did. Regardless of the fact that I can be wrong in my assumption, what objectivity can you offer me to show me that OEC is objective truth? None!

So how objectively do you take your bible?
Last edited by neo-x on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
If this were true God could not judge any human justly.Nobody will be able to stand before God and say your word said this and it was wrong?You are simply letting everybody know that you cannot put your faith in the bible,God's word 100% because it can have flaws because humans wrote it and they are flawed.

But you must ignore 2nd Timothy 3:16 to think like this.You might be frustrated with what seems like so many different interpretations but if you'd study God's word to where you know it,you'd be able to tell who's right and who's wrong in their interpretation.

This is not a salvation issue but an issue of people not knowing God's word enough to know who's right and who's wrong and how we need to be willing to admit we don't know yet or when we do to change our mind to line up with God's word,not man's truth,interpretation or opinions it is our own responsibility to "Let God be true and every man a liar."
You do realize that when 2nd Timothy 3:16 was written, the N.T didn't exist, neither did the gospels?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

B. W. wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:Some food for thought. Of reformed theologians I find more good nuggets with Tim Keller than many others.
We also thought it was important to begin our confession with God rather than with Scripture. This is significant. The Enlightenment was overconfident about human rationality. Some strands of it assumed it was possible to build systems of thought on unassailable foundations that could be absolutely certain to unaided human reason.

Despite their frequent vilification of the Enlightenment, many conservative evangelicals have nevertheless been shaped by it. This can be seen in how many evangelical statements of faith start with the Scripture, not with God. They proceed from Scripture to doctrine through rigorous exegesis in order to build (what they consider) an absolutely sure, guaranteed-true-to-Scripture theology.

The problem is that this is essentially a foundationalist approach to knowledge. It ignores the degree to which our cultural location affects our interpretation of the Bible, and it assumes a very rigid subject-object distinction. It ignores historical theology, philosophy, and cultural reflection.

Starting with the Scripture leads readers to the over confidence that their exegesis of biblical texts has produced a system of perfect doctrinal truth. This can create pride and rigidity because it may not sufficiently acknowledge the fallenness of human reason.

We believe it is best to start with God, to declare (with John Calvin, Institutes 1.1) that without knowledge of God we cannot know ourselves, our world, or anything else. If there is no God, we would have no reason to trust our reason.

~ D. A. Carson and Timothy Keller, Gospel-Centered Ministry (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2011), 6 in Bird, Evangelical Theology, 93, n. 11.

-
-
-
B.W it gets more complicated namely how does one read the bible and which denomination then to follow.

without.

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Kurieuo wrote:Thanks D220 for targeting my questions.
I appreciate your responses.
Thanks K, I always think my responses are inadequate, I appreciate your appreciation. :ebiggrin:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Does something have to be inerrant and infallible to divide truth from it? I don't think so.
Kurieuo wrote:In order to be a warranted or "justified belief" then each belief ought to be justifed.
Why do my beliefs need to be justified,why do I need warrant to believe something, who am I justifying them too and for what purpose? I certainly don't need to justify them to myself as I am convicted already and nothing I say could ever justify my beliefs to someone else no matter how much warrant I may or may not have, they have to come to terms with the truth themselves and be convicted of it. I highly doubt God gives a rats about my warrant and justification, my beliefs are all probably incorrect to one degree or another and as are yours, even if you do have more warrant than me, like Paul/Saul said 1Corinthians 13:8-12
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
We know nothing really when it comes down to God's perfect knowledge, we just don't have all the facts yet, we only know in part, so how could we ever have warrant for anything, I think that is why we have faith, there is no certainty in life or in the Bible and I think God has done that on purpose, he wants us to have faith in him and trust in him, if he gave us all the answers in a perfect infallible book which told us absolutely everything then we really wouldn't require faith and maybe God's plan can't function without faith.

Kurieuo wrote:For example, how do you justify your belief in the Trinity or that Christ is God?
You can just cherry pick as you "feel" and call that the spirit, but such is quite a weak position.
I disagree it is the weaker position, I think it is stronger because I rely totally on God through faith and the conviction of his spirit inside me. By trusting God and living by faith I am in a unique position where nothing can shake my foundation, no scientific discovery, no theology, no philosophy, no doctrine or anything else has a bearing on my faith. I still have my doubts of course but they are usually unfounded fears and irrational thoughts. Now we all cherry pick our beliefs, especially when concerning the Bible and what Jesus taught, I see it all the time on this forum, people are convicted differently and for different reasons, I don't see why that is bad, God speaks to everyone differently, we are all at different stages of our walks and will all have different understandings.

Do we really need a book to tell us how to behave and how to live according to God's will? I don't think so, I think it is all innate knowledge that is in everyone.
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Possibly, at the end of the day I just have faith in Christ and the relationship I have with him, I can put the Bible, theology, philosophy and even science aside because it doesn't compare to a real relationship with God himself.
Kurieuo wrote:You have faith in a "feeling"? Not warranted belief?
If faith is based upon reason, then you must have reasons to believe in your relationship with Him (and I don't deny that you do have a relationship since I myself feel such too).
But, what reasons? How can you put your "feelings of relationship" before Bible, theology, philosophy and even science?
My Mum one said God told her to leave my Dad, and she left to move in with another man. Was she wrong?
What of Muslims who have their own divine experiences. Surely they're justified in the same manner.
I put my relationship with God first because that is the most vital and important investment that I have, without God what importance does the Bible have? What I mean is look at the Pharisees and the Sadducees, they knew their Torah backwards and thought they had the truth of God's word but they didn't have a relationship with God himself and they used the word of God as a weapon, they chose their own knowledge and their own interpretation over a loving relationship with their creator.
I cannot comment on your mothers situation, I don't have all the facts of the situation, maybe she is mentally Ill, maybe your father was abusive (No offence meant), maybe she was deceived by Satan, who knows??

When God asked Abraham to kill Isaac do you think he had a warranted belief to carry out what God had asked him to do, or did he have faith and trust in God to know that he would always have his best interests at heart? What about Noah, did he have warrant for his belief to build an ark?

Muslims, this is a big kettle of fish and encompasses a lot of other beliefs of mine, I will try to keep this short, I believe that knowing Christ is not about head knowledge, knowing Christ is to do the will of God, it is a heart attitude and not knowledge based. So having said that, yes they are justified in the same manner as myself because I believe that being in a right relationship with God is about doing God's will. Now the conviction of the spirit does not discriminate between race, religion or creed, and when I wasn't a Christian I was strongly convicted about my actions, most of the time I chose to ignore that, I can only speak of my own experience but I would imagine the same would be for the Muslim, if he is in right relationship with God he will do his will, if he is not he will be convicted by the spirit, he can either ignore that or acknowledge that.
Kurieuo wrote:If we believe that God's natural world to be a source of inerrant truth, then is this also placing nature above God?
Danieltwotwenty wrote:I don't believe the natural world is inerrant truth or at least our understanding of it, the natural world like scripture can be wrongly interpreted or even corrupted (sin entered the world (what effect did that sin have on nature??) maybe that shaped the evidence to be wrongly interpreted), evolution is a great example, it can still be wrong, I admit that.
Kurieuo wrote:That's fair. This is no different from say many "conservative evangelicals" who believe in Scripture.
Corruption must be proven, and those who believe it can be trusted must equally carry a burden of proof.

I note from previous posts, you have some confusion here -- PaulS and NeoX seem more set.
Canuck I'm surprised by and not sure what he believes.
I just don't have certainty in my beliefs and I am cool with that, I accept I don't have to have all the answers and I live by faith, that's what I feel is how Jesus wanted us to live.
Kurieuo wrote:Why not, if you think considering ALL Scripture as an objective source of truth is?
Danieltwotwenty wrote:I don't think that scripture is not an objective source of truth, it holds many objective truths, but it is still subject to all the associated nuances of being written by humans. I thought that's why Jesus sent his spirit, to guide us, if scripture was infallible, why would we need or require the spirit?
Kurieuo wrote:You know that Jesus sent the Holy Spirit due to....? Scripture.
And you trust Scripture accurately recorded the meaning of Christ's words.
Thankfully we can also experience the Spirit to a degree.
I trust the accuracy of the Gospels, I am more dubious of the OT.
Now do you need the Bible to know about the conviction of the spirit, I say no, we all are convicted by the spirit whether we acknowledge that or not, even Pharaoh was convicted by God but he chose to ignore it and he had never read the Bible, yet was still convicted. The spirit has always been here, before it was even written about, remember it hovered over the waters of the deep.

Kurieuo wrote:Scripture is just a source of truth, that's all I'd argue for.
Meaning where it touches upon reality and is properly understood as originally penned and intended then I'd accept it as truth.
Mind you, I'll admit that this is the most faith-based belief I have; in the sense that I can't prove Scripture is inerrant but I can justify many so-called errors (which I did many years ago with critics).
Such that being able to resolve 99% or so errors, gives me more faith in Scripture than not... which plausibly places it as a source of truth on my table of possible beliefs, that I then choose to accept as authoritative. So it isn't proven 100% (if anything ever is), but is evidenced to me as being reasonable to accept Scripture as reliable because it is hard to fault beyond all reasonable doubt.
Likewise it might be asked if nature was infallible, why would we need or require the Spirit?
The Spirit bears witness with us, to actually verify what is already obvious but clouded because we choose to bury God.
He guides and consoles us. You don't know that you're being carried until you see the footprints looking back on your life. That is the work of the Spirit.
Being "born again," the spiritual experience that many feel is I'd believe the Spirit bearing witness with us.
During worship, or maybe prayer, or something other -- if you feel connected with God then the Spirit bears witness with us.
This doesn't give exact truths, but it does provide some sort of verification if you will. At least, this is all my thinking.
I would agree that scripture is a source of truth, I just don't think we can forget that it is open to human understandings, human interference, human free will and all the other nuances that come with it. I think we can agree here though, I believe it is truth, not with 100% certainty but close enough that I will use it as an authority and line that up with the conviction of the spirit, certain parts I find hard to reconcile but like I said earlier I don't have to have all the answers yet, all I can have is faith.

I hope I have explained adequately, I really struggle to write out my thoughts sometimes and if I get frustrated it's because I cannot get the type to mean what I want it to say, I think I have permanent writers block. :lol:

Cheers y>:D<
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kurieuo wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Scripture was never meant to take the place of God, of SEEKING God PERSONALLY for a PERSONAL relationship.
It was meant to aid people by pointing towards God.
Scripture is not A book but a combination of books and letters and historical writings and even poetry.

Personally I don't think that any of the scribes that edited and copied the many books and letters in the bible expected to be held to an inerrant and infallible degree.
They were human.

What keeps getting lost though is that even IF the bible was perfect in EVERY way, it would still leave us with IMPERFECT human interpretation AND understanding of the bible.

lets not forget that Jesus corrected the Pharisees and the Saudacees in regards to their understanding and I am sure THEY thought THEY were RIGHT.
I know what you're trying to get at but I just see it all coming out wrong and many statements here made that I'm not sure who'd believe otherwise?

For example,

"Scripture is not A book but a combination of books and letters and historical writings and even poetry"
Seems obvious, but who says otherwise?

"Personally I don't think that any of the scribes that edited and copied the many books and letters in the bible expected to be held to an inerrant and infallible degree."
Who believes inerrancy pertains to the scribed copies?
Fact is copies and copies means when errors were made -- most grammatical and the like -- we have other copies that can be looked at.
This also allow scholars to identify reactions and edits. Thus, an understanding of what the absolute originally authored text is in fact preserved.
Such that we have a near 100% good idea of what the originally authored texts would have said.

"What keeps getting lost though is that even IF the bible was perfect in EVERY way, it would still leave us with IMPERFECT human interpretation AND understanding of the bible."
That's not in question by any one Evangelical apologist I'm familiar with who would believe in Biblical inerrancy (which seems to me what you are disliking here).

Who or what are you writing against?
I'd really recommend you all read over the Chicago Statement of Biblical Inerrancy to pin down what it is you actually disagree with before writing.
Because none of your statements above are contrary to it.

"lets not forget that Jesus corrected the Pharisees and the Saudacees in regards to their understanding and I am sure THEY thought THEY were RIGHT."
This has no real bearing on the issue. Everyone thinks they're right including you here.

At the end of the day, you all (PaulS, Neo, Can, Dan) use Scripture as a source of truth. Why?
Are you not "also" making it into a "god" treating it as such? Why not?
If we believe that God's natural world to be a source of inerrant truth, then is this also placing nature above God?
Why not, if you think considering ALL Scripture as an objective source of truth is?

I'm all for people seeking God, but fact of the matter is, such leads to a wish-wash of beliefs.
This flies in the face of Christ's teachings, if you take them as truly Christ's words, that there is only one Way to the Father -- Christ.
(which again, I'm sure none of you disagree with that Christ is the only way -- for if you did than that isn't really Christianity)
Furthermore, Christ attributes authority to Scripture especially Moses, so do we now negate those as being Christ's words.

So I'm puzzled perhaps about what is necessarily being said of any substance above. No offence intended.
It just seems like is more than meets the eye here. Some knee-jerk reaction being had against some maligned view "inerrantists".

You know (hopefully) I'm most graceful and accepting of Christians whether or not they accept Scripture as fully inerrant or what-have-you.
But, I back my statements above 100% and am happy to go head-to-head in a logical and rational debate regarding Biblical inerrancy.
It perhaps ought to be had at some time -- a debate on biblical inerrancy amongst Christ-loving Christians (non-Christians disallowed because it's not an issue of relevance to them).
I'd appreciate the challenge as I realise that this is perhaps the most non-evidenced based belief I have.

So feel free to rip into someone hopefully of some substance who does believe in inerrancy and not simply divine inspiration (i.e., me).
Who considers themselves a "conservative Evangelical" as Luther, Calvin, Wesley and many others of those times were.
If anyone is up for it... it could only provide greater perspective and hopefully understanding all-round.

Speaking for myself only:
At the end of the day, you all (PaulS, Neo, Can, Dan) use Scripture as a source of truth. Why?
I take the bible for what IT IS and not for what it isn't.
Can't get much plainer than that.
It holds a special place for me BUT not even close to the place of Our Lord , Our Father and Our Holy Spirit.

Maybe I have been around more/different circles than you BUT I know for a FACT that bible inerrancy is a very big issue for some, very big.
To the extend of, " if one part is not inerrant, how can ANY part be trusted?".
So MY perspective on what I wrote is far different than yours.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RE:
2Timothy 3:16

This verse always gets brought up to defend bible inerrancy, as if that is what it states.
Well, what does it actually say? all of it?

14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
It, this letter being directed to Timothy who was taught by Paul (supposedly), says that He ( Timothy) must continue in doing the things he learned from Paul AND from the holy scriptures because the scriptures did what?
Made him wise for salvation through faith in Christ.
Then Paul states that those scriptures given to him ( which at the time did NOT include any gospels by the way) were given by inspiration from God and they are for:
Doctrine, reproof, correction, and teaching righteousness so that a man of God is equipped for every good work.

Note that Paul does NOT say that scripture is suppose to be anything other than what it had always been:
A guide for correct moral behavior. for teaching and correcting behavior and for equipping people for good works.

Paul viewed the OT, which were the scriptures of his time, as something used to instruct people on what is right and wrong, to help them do good works and, of course, to point the way to Christ.

People that use this passage as proof or evidence to point out the bible being used for anything OTHER than THIS are going BEYOND what Paul wrote and WHY he wrote it.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

neo-x wrote:
B. W. wrote:

B.W it gets more complicated namely how does one read the bible and which denomination then to follow.
Then you'll understand one of the many ways how the Lord test the righteous.

The truth of the bible is this: light separates darkness, or, better illustrated, pushes darkness out of a Christians life, exposing what one loves more than God himself.

The bible is one instrument in this process: it exposes a lot. That is why I keep telling folks that the finger prints of a superior intelligence is all over this book that makes it more than just merely inspired - rather it is God breathed, blowing life back into man/woman, light that will either remove or solidify the personal darkness one is blind too.

What does it show you about yourself?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

B. W. wrote:
neo-x wrote:
B. W. wrote:

Then you'll understand one of the many ways how the Lord test the righteous.

The truth of the bible is this: light separates darkness, or, better illustrated, pushes darkness out of a Christians life, exposing what one loves more than God himself.

The bible is one instrument in this process: it exposes a lot. That is why I keep telling folks that the finger prints of a superior intelligence is all over this book that makes it more than just merely inspired - rather it is God breathed, blowing life back into man/woman, light that will either remove or solidify the personal darkness one is blind too.

What does it show you about yourself?
-
-
-
Regarding what?

without.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

It is a very interesting question.
The answer to can one know God without the bible is, obviously, yes.
Before there was ANY written word of God, there were those that knew God.
If the bible was to disappear tomorrow, God would still exist and to suggest that God would NOT be able ot make Himself know other than by the written word is, well, it doesn't make any sense.

Now, the 2nd part is interesting:
If so, how could you be sure if you are correct ?
See, I think this is the most important question AND the least because, well, it falls on every believer to give account of their OWN faith to God ( and not to anyone else), and if a believer truly has God in their heart then they have the HS and that means, in all things that TRULY MATTER TO GOD, then the believer would be correct.

I think the issue really is, how can we know that we are following the right teachings AS TAUGHT BY SOMEONE ELSE TO US.
That, IMO, is really what the questions being asked is really all about.
And the answer is the same:
It falls on every believer to give account of their OWN faith to God .

BUT some people do NOT like that responsibility and prefer to be TOLD and TAUGHT what to believe by those they deem to have authority and THAT is where the bible comes in.

Some people think they have an excuse, something to fall back on, if they somehow are worshiping or believing the wrong things because people in "authority" are telling them that, based on the bible ( a book that the layman has no way of interpreting themselves) they must do/act this way and do these things and if we take that authority away and put it on ourselves ( a frightening thought for some) then the responsibility of learning the bible, understanding the bible and accepting it falls on US.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

@Neo-X
Firstly, I respect you regardless as a Christian despite our differences here.
I just love that anyone comes to Christ, regardless of whether or not they give Scripture the same credence and authority that I attach to it.
Your frustrations I'm sure would be something you would feel within most Christian churches.
Raised eyebrows and the like that you do not accept all Scripture as truth.

Strangely, as liberal as some denominations are when their lecturers teach students, I've found the masses in the churches are often a lot more conservative.
I'm not simply talking Evangelical denominations here, but Anglican, Uniting, Catholic or what-have-you.
So obviously, no matter where you turn, anyone who doesn't accept all of Scripture will be challenged greatly.
BUT, I can't ever picture any true Christian pushing you away as a brother/sister in Christ.
I'm just glad that you have faith in Christ, however you reached it -- you made it! You know?

It is sad that other Christians don't see it that way, and would be sad if a non-Christian thought they had to accept all Scripture as truth before turning to Christ.
At a foundational level I grew up with Scripture. Then I debated it lots online. Many accusations are just fluff. Some require harder explanations. As long as a reasonable explanation exists to justify a particular passage, then I don't think it reasonable to declare it is at fault. Suspect perhaps, but not faulted.
It is strange to me that many like to consider Scripture guilty until proven innocent. We don't do that in court, and so I think it is fairer to give the benefit of doubt until proven guilty. Scriptural explanations might be suspect, but unless found guilty beyond reasonable doubt then innocence ought to be presumes. That's how I see matters. Many however, see suspicion as guilt and I consider that unfair.
Neo wrote:I really don't get the whole inerrant thing, so lets say its inerrant, so what , that flies full in the face of evidence, how do you square that?
If you see that Scripture flies in the face of reasonable evidence, then you ought to reject it.
But then, what you do believe needs to be based on more than just Scripture and some feeling or resonance.
At least if you want to have properly grounded beliefs (since Scripture obviously can't be your anchor any more).

Understand that we all come at Scripture from a different background.
Further, some of us have examined some passages more thoroughly then others.
Many Christians are naive and just accept things. Mormons know the book of Mormon is true because they listen to their heart.
No doubt many Evangelical Christian are the same as far as our Bible is concerned.
That is stupid and poor at best.

I don't know what you've read of Scripture, what you found difficult, whether you are aware of the same responses and like that I am.
Rather I can only speak for myself, as you speak for yourself.

SO for me I see that Scripture doesn't fly in the fact of evidence. How do you square that?
I'm wrong you think, just like I believe you're wrong.
General statements then aren't going to do any good here.
Rather, the details ought to be discussed.

If you want to sway me then you can present your issues, and I'll judge them for myself.
If I want to sway you I'll provide a response to your issues that I'm satisfied with.
At the end of the day our subjective opinion of the matter will dictate whether or not we feel Scripture stands up.
Like jurors might have different opinions, so too we may of what the truth of the matter is.
Only one of us is right though. Such is truth. Divisive, but immovable.

So this issue of whether one accepts Scripture as authoritative or not is largely a subjective affair.
That sounds strange, but obviously it is true. If I feel a passage can be explained, and you feel that explanation is inadequate then what more can be said?
Nothing really that I can see. It comes down to a matter of personal judgement and as such differences of opinion.

SO for myself, let me quote what I said to D220 -- not to justify my beliefs re: Scripture -- BUT to rather give you insight into why I do accept Scripture as authoritative:
  • Scripture is just a source of truth, that's all I'd argue for.
Neo wrote:I do hold objective truths out of the bible but I also hold value to things outside the bible which we know to be true. So you will say why believe in Christ or think the Resurrection story is true? because I think its possible, because I think it makes sense with what happened later or any other logical conclusions which may lead me to see that the Resurrection could certainly happen. But more so because I believe it, because I know Christ.
I think you would actually be hard pressed to rationally ground each individual Christian belief that you would accept.
To verify each one would be a massive, indeed even impossible task -- unless you take Scripture as an authoritative truth source on some foundational level.

Jesus' resurrection is a different kettle of fish (thank God), and Habermaus has done great work here to get at it without resorting to Scripture as God's authoritative word.

But then say your own and D220's belief of Christ sending the Spirit to verify (i.e., you "know Christ" / your relationship), Trinitarian beliefs, Jesus being fully God/fully human, Satan/fallen angels and so many side-beliefs we take for granted as Christians that'd make a non-Christian role their eyes and wonder how the heck we can believe in such things...
These are all extremely hard to ground, if not impossible without accepting some sort of special revelation.

Perhaps, you just "feel" that the Holy Spirit as you read verifies some beliefs through some heart-felt resonance. Which could happen.
It is hard for me to comprehend how such could lead to a rationally grounded beliefs though, especially when other Christian may resonate with something other
(e.g., JW's, Mormons or even YECs, Day-Age, etc who resonate differently with Scripture).
Or again, take my Mum who left Dad and moved in with another guy and she felt "God was leading her to do so" because they were wrongly yoked together by a Christian community earlier on in life.

To use an analogy I don't know how the heck came into my mind...
A dog owner grabs the walking chain and the dogs starts jumping around him all excited.
The dog jumps in front, to the back and side to side while the owner remains standing in the same spot.
This is like how we approach Scripture in some ways. Scripture being the dog's owner, and each of us jump around it offering up this or that interpretation.
Same happens with us in examining the world around us. Only the natural world is the dog's owner, and we jump around offering up this or that idea for how things work.
Now what makes things messy is if you now place "us" as the dog's owner -- whether that be our interpretations or listening to the Spirit and what resonates with us.
The immovable standards now become movable. Dogs jumping around many owners and absolute confusion everywhere.

See how it quickly becomes impossible for anyone to seriously ground their beliefs unless they appeal to an immovable source?
Having immovable sources of truth isn't necessarily a bad thing, or a blind following off the cliff of reason.
It is just a necessary way in which knowledge must be grounded.

Due to post-modern influences -- many today think that many truths are had via this society and culture or that, even if the clash that's then their truth and our truth. Some theological thinking carries this thought and wishes to apply it to Scripture. Thought like I detected in Canuckter's original post quoting Carson/Keller i.e., "It ignores the degree to which our cultural location affects our interpretation of the Bible, and it assumes a very rigid subject-object distinction."
I detect the undertones and I'm sure if I looked into these guys more I'd be proven right. Such is just downright nonsense to me.
Just say already that the Muslim feels the trunk, Christian the tail, Hindu the leg and the complete elephant is only seen by post-enlightened folk already.
neo-x wrote:Do I reject all of it? no. Was it written all at once? no. Then why on earth would you like to treat all books the same way? It can be treated book to book as a matter of fact that is also the way the canon was compiled.
Why do I accept it as authoritative? Ultimately because Jesus did.
What about the NT? Apostolic authority which ultimately comes via Christ.

Many like to just remove the face, and say human author this, and human authors err.
Fine. But the teachings within come from those with authority, from those God sent the Holy Spirit to (John 14:26) and ultimately from Christ Himself.
So the authority in Scripture for a Christian ought to be greater than the Pope to the Catholic Church who claims apostolic succession via Peter even though many, many generations removed.
This is perhaps why Luther esteemed Scripture so much. He saw it as an immovable landmark of early Christian authority. The RCC who at the time had strayed from it so much that he wanted to try use it as a landmark to highlight just how far down river they had strayed. To try bring about reform within the church. Until he was made the enemy.

You ask why treat the books all the same way?
I'm not sure I know what you mean by this...
Treat them individually in the same way in which the canon was compiled...
Sure. How is that different from treating them collectively and what does that entail?

As a point of reference the canon wasn't necessarily "complied" by any one party or decree.
No one decided what was in or out. Not Constantine, nor the RCC as commonly accused.
The theologian, Morwenna Ludlow, words it more elegantly than I could when she writes:
  • "With regard to most books it was a question of [the church] explaining why it had what it had, rather than deciding on what it should have. No council sat down to choose the texts according to some pre-established set of criteria, just as a selection committee might decide on the sort of person they want to fill a post, before interviewing the candidates. Rather, there is some sense in which the canon chose (or formed) the Church, rather than the Church chose (or formed) thecanon… [W]hat seems to be happening… is that the Church is formulating reason or explanations for why it has what it had, not criteria for choosing what it should have in the future."

(Morwenna Ludlow, "'Criteria of Canonicity' and the Early Church" in John Barton and Michael Wolter (eds), Die Einheit der Schrift and die Vielfalt des Kanons /The Unity of the Scripture and the Diversity of the Canon (Berlin and New York: Walter de Gruyter, 2003), 69-93)
Neo wrote:So why can't I still trust or believe the genesis story? because now its not a matter of how fantastic the story is or how sovereign God could be. The facts go against it and since I don't think God could be at fault, I can only surmise that the story is.

As far as objective truth is concerned, no, when it comes to burning the witch or stoning the whores I don't take it as an objective model to follow, neither do you. So we already divide among the scriptures of what is objective and what is not. Do you accept all scripture as is? You don't. I challenge you that the Bible doesn't support OEC. You have stretch it to make it such. In its own reading it sounds VERY VERY Yec, with multiple references to 6 day creations unless you knew about the an old earth, the idea wouldn't fly. And it wasn't until the last few centuries that it did. Regardless of the fact that I can be wrong in my assumption, what objectivity can you offer me to show me that OEC is objective truth? None!

So how objectively do you take your bible?
You are entitled to your own subjective judgement on the matter.
Many higher authorities in Hebrew than I think even YECs could muster would disagree with you.
And I'm not defending that OEC -- let's say the Day-Age interpretation -- is objective truth, only that Scripture is a valid source of truth.

There is something interesting I find here in all this. A little irony.

You along with D220 and I'm sure PaulS and Canuckster would be the first to point out "interpretation of Scripture" is not Scripture itself.
BUT, then you attach a YEC beliefs to an interpretation of Scripture that you believe to actually be what Scripture "objectively" says.
What are you here affirming as the immovable source of Scripture --
1) Human interpretation (YEC), or
2) Scripture itself?

If the latter, then THAT'S how objectively I take the Bible.
So open the gates to all subjective interpretations and put them to the test against all accepted sources of truth.
If the former, then "objectivity" has nothing to do with how we take the Bible really -- "Scripture" and "interpretation" are two different things.

Further, I want to highlight something with the creation debate regarding Genesis 1, since this is a main issue that you mention.
Because it is absolutely false I think to say categorically there is such a thing as the YEC or OEC interpretation (even if we use such language all the time).
Rather, it is more that a particular way of interpreting Scripture fits in with YEC or OEC beliefs.
Let me explain further what I mean so many can hopefully get what I'm saying.

In saying "YEC interpretation" many believe that this means taking the days in Genesis 1 to be an ordinary day (actually symbolic of a 24 hour period).
A more literal understanding would be to take the days in Genesis 1 to be intended by the author as literal solar days.
Where am I going with this? Obviously if the author meant real days, then there was some reason. What is that reason?
Well one reason is because the author saw importance to the Sabbath and keeping the 6-1 pattern of rest. You can find the association between the days of Genesis and Sabbath in the 10 Commandments. Thus, the author I put forward did intend actual ordinary solar days (not longer periods, not 24 hours) and the hearers of the time were well aware to the greater significance behind the days and the example God sets in His own creative work and rest.
I go into detail elsewhere on this board regard this "Sabbatical" interpretation of Genesis 1.
BUT, in a nutshell, similar to how prophecies take on dual meanings (that is, a meaning understood in the immediate context with a much deeper meaning the author also seems aware to that becomes more clear to us as the event transpires). Similarly, the author and hearers of the time would have understood that each day and the 6-1 pattern being an divinely set example of the Sabbath while each day as they actually transpired during creation represented some stage of creation.

Now this interpretation may/may not be true. For my purposes here I'm not trying to prove it is true.
What I am trying to simply show is this.
Many associate a "YEC interpretation" of Genesis 1 with the days being literal, or at least a 12-24 hour period (since the Sun doesn't exist until Day 4 on the common YEC view).
Yet, what I offered equally takes the days in Genesis 1 to being intended by the author as literal solar days for sabbatical exemplary reasons.
Therefore if by "YEC interpretation" you have in mind the day in Genesis being understood as ordinary days then such is by no means exclusive of belief in an older Earth and universe. There is another interpretation (the sabbatical one) which can possibly (even if you may not believe it, it is still possible right?) fit in with beliefs of an older Earth and universe.

Therefore, I'd argue there is really no "YEC" or "OEC" interpretation of Genesis 1.
What we have are simply interpretations devoid of any comment on the age of the Earth or universe.
Certain interpretations might fit in with young Earth beliefs, other interpretations old Earth beliefs and perhaps some both.
If true, and you agree with this, then it doesn't make sense to say Genesis 1 sounds really, really YEC, OEC or what-have-you.
Better to explain what you believe the author intended and why -- which is a lot more work to do but more legitimate and fair.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

"Start with Scripture?" --- Of Course we start with Scripture -- it's God's Word to mankind. In the Old Testament God gave His Word through the Prophets. He led His people -- Children of Israel out of Egypt by directing Moses. He used Noah when He directed the ark to be built. Isaiah told about the coming of the Messiah which took place in the New Testament.

We've been given God's Word By God Himself. Jesus Christ tells us in John "I am the way, the Truth and the life, no man comes to the Father, but through Me." That is very specific.

When we take time to know God's Word -- we Will recognize non-truth. And there Is plenty of non-truth in this world.