Tax payer funded abortions?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)

Should tax payers dollars go to funding abortions?

Yes
9%
No
91%

Total votes: 11

Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Tax payer funded abortions?

Post by Gabrielman »

Hey everyone I am working on an article that may help me get a writing job and I the idea of tax payer funded abortions is one of the subjects I am writing about. So I was wanting to know what you all thought about the subject.

Note: Please only posters from the U.S. on this one, becuase it is a U.S. issue and I want the opinion of Americans who this impacts.

So the thought is this, should we fund abortions with our tax dollars. Think about it, if we did that then you would be paying for abortions even if you disagreed with abortion. So what do you all think?
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Tax payer funded abortions?

Post by RickD »

I thought some of our tax dollars already went to groups that help fund abortions?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

Yes we do for some, that is why I am asking you all what you think of it. Should we be forced to pay for something if we don't believe in it?
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gabrielman wrote:Yes we do for some, that is why I am asking you all what you think of it. Should we be forced to pay for something if we don't believe in it?
Nobody is "forced" to pay for something they don't believe in. If someone feels that strongly, he doesn't have to pay taxes. Do you really think anyone on this board wants their tax dollars to fund murder?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

RickD wrote:
Gabrielman wrote:Yes we do for some, that is why I am asking you all what you think of it. Should we be forced to pay for something if we don't believe in it?
Nobody is "forced" to pay for something they don't believe in. If someone feels that strongly, he doesn't have to pay taxes. Do you really think anyone on this board wants their tax dollars to fund murder?
If I could get away without paying my taxes (Which are aromatically removed from my checks) without leaving my job, then I would, otherwise I feel as though I am forced to pay for it through my tax dollars if I work. But no I don't think anyone wants to pay for this slaughter of unborn children, however some people think that abortion is okay. So what I want to know is this:
Do you want to pay for abortions with you tax dollars, why or why not?
Please answer this in as much detail as you can. I would greatly appreciate it.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

Abortion Funding Debate Rages On
This was on Fox News.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gabrielman wrote:
RickD wrote:
If I could get away without paying my taxes (Which are aromatically removed from my checks) without leaving my job, then I would, otherwise I feel as though I am forced to pay for it through my tax dollars if I work. But no I don't think anyone wants to pay for this slaughter of unborn children, however some people think that abortion is okay. So what I want to know is this:
Do you want to pay for abortions with you tax dollars, why or why not?
Please answer this in as much detail as you can. I would greatly appreciate it.
Once "my" tax dollars are taken, they are no longer my responsibility. Mr. President, and the government has to account for how it's spent. In a perfect world, of course I wouldn't want ANY money spent on murder. Did you ever tithe or give money to a church or ministry , only to have it used for something other than what you would have intended? When you have taxes "aromatically" removed, does that mean they are removed with a fragrance? y#-o

-Edward R Murrow

Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

RickD wrote:When you have taxes "aromatically" removed, does that mean they are removed with a fragrance? y#-o
:pound: Oh my goodness, lol I meant automatically!!! LOL Wow!!!!! :pound: :pound: :pound: I can't believe I did that!!!!
RickD wrote: Once "my" tax dollars are taken, they are no longer my responsibility. Mr. President, and the government has to account for how it's spent. In a perfect world, of course I wouldn't want ANY money spent on murder. Did you ever tithe or give money to a church or ministry , only to have it used for something other than what you would have intended?

You have a very good point there, hope you don't mind if I use some of this in my article! :D
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gabrielman wrote:
RickD wrote:When you have taxes "aromatically" removed, does that mean they are removed with a fragrance? y#-o
:pound: Oh my goodness, lol I meant automatically!!! LOL Wow!!!!! :pound: :pound: :pound: I can't believe I did that!!!!
RickD wrote: Once "my" tax dollars are taken, they are no longer my responsibility. Mr. President, and the government has to account for how it's spent. In a perfect world, of course I wouldn't want ANY money spent on murder. Did you ever tithe or give money to a church or ministry , only to have it used for something other than what you would have intended?

You have a very good point there, hope you don't mind if I use some of this in my article! :D
I don't mind. I'd like to read your article when you're done. I'd like to see where you're going with this.

-Edward R Murrow

zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Your taxes must smell very nice :ebiggrin:
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Gabrielman wrote:Hey everyone I am working on an article that may help me get a writing job and I the idea of tax payer funded abortions is one of the subjects I am writing about. So I was wanting to know what you all thought about the subject.

Note: Please only posters from the U.S. on this one, becuase it is a U.S. issue and I want the opinion of Americans who this impacts.

So the thought is this, should we fund abortions with our tax dollars. Think about it, if we did that then you would be paying for abortions even if you disagreed with abortion. So what do you all think?
I see it as a human rights issue, and as such it isn't just a U.S. issue.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

Kurieuo wrote:
Gabrielman wrote:Hey everyone I am working on an article that may help me get a writing job and I the idea of tax payer funded abortions is one of the subjects I am writing about. So I was wanting to know what you all thought about the subject.

I see it as a human rights issue, and as such it isn't just a U.S. issue.
Well I meant for what the article is about, it is specific to a debate in America as to weather or not we should fund abortions with our tax payer dollars.
zoegirl wrote:Your taxes must smell very nice :ebiggrin:
:pound: Yes they do!
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Taxpayers pay for things they don't necessarily believe in all the time. Should pacifists be allowed to reduce their taxes and not pay a portion equal to the military budget? Do you think there might be an increase in the number of people who found that they were suddenly pacifists if such an option were allowed?

I do not support aborion nor do I believe our government is right in either allowing them as a means of retro-active birth control, or in providing funding to provide them. That conviction is on moral grounds and frankly, as a tax payer, given the choice, I would support paying more taxes if it provided viable options to abortion and ended the practice.

Attempting to tie the issue to one of money however, doesn't address the root issue which is a heart one. Frankly, by attempting to tie the issue to federal funding, it may be that we're invitinig people to participate in the debate who simply are treating this as a monetary issues rather than the moral issue of life or death, right or wrong that I believe it is. Invoking such an argument may have short term benefits, but in the long term, it diffuses the issue and opens the door to other such rationalizations that appeal to human greed and fear rather than the moral high ground.

As an issue by itself, I certainly don't want my taxes to go toward funding the practice of abortion. That's the least of my concerns however relative to the practice itself. I don't want to diminish the issue by descending to arguments of practicality when they dilute the real issue.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Human
Familiar Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Human »

It doesn't matter whether or not the person supports it. If I were against due process, I would not be entitled to exemption from taxes used for that.
However, abortion is murder, plain and simple. Thusly, it must be outlawed and prevented as strongly as any other form of murder. Therefore, funding it would be counter to the right to live.