My eye got caught.Help.

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
The11thDr.
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

My eye got caught.Help.

Post by The11thDr. »

God AND science? I do not understand how that could make sense, but even though I am a athiest, I do consider the possibility of intelligent design, because the intelligence doesn't necesserily have to be supernatural. It could be aliens for all we know! Kind of a shame they havent found any sign of those aliens yet.

But there has been the idea of something other than ET's for centuries and maybe I could consider it.I've been considering religeons recently(since july 2009) to be honest I havent been that impressed and ive kind of avoided thinking about Christianity for a while.(my grandparents are but they are ok) I live in a kind of very secular country so you can understand while I have left it a while cant you?

PS. I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong part of the forum, can it be moved rather than removed? thanks.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: My eye got caught.Help.

Post by Gman »

The11thDr. wrote:I've been considering religeons recently(since july 2009) to be honest I havent been that impressed and ive kind of avoided thinking about Christianity for a while.(my grandparents are but they are ok) I live in a kind of very secular country so you can understand while I have left it a while cant you?
Not really.. Can you tell us why you have avoided Christianity?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

The11thDr. wrote:God AND science? I do not understand how that could make sense, but even though I am a athiest, I do consider the possibility of intelligent design, because the intelligence doesn't necesserily have to be supernatural. It could be aliens for all we know! Kind of a shame they havent found any sign of those aliens yet.

But there has been the idea of something other than ET's for centuries and maybe I could consider it.I've been considering religeons recently(since july 2009) to be honest I havent been that impressed and ive kind of avoided thinking about Christianity for a while.(my grandparents are but they are ok) I live in a kind of very secular country so you can understand while I have left it a while cant you?

PS. I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong part of the forum, can it be moved rather than removed? thanks.
Welcome to the forum!!!! :wave: Yes God and Science is a very interesting concept to be sure, but we will be happy to help you in any way we can and answer any of your questions.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

I was born and raised in a Christian home, but it was not until I read up on the science behind Christianity that I myself became a Christian. I hope this website and the numerous other sources on the subject help you the way they've helped me. Science was definitely what opened the door to Christ. And there are definitely plenty of very smart people here who can help. Also, I would read a lot of the articles on the main page whenever you have time.
The11thDr.
Established Member

Post by The11thDr. »

Well its kind of what you hear in the media about christian hypocracy that put me off. But I then I decided that it was just sensationalist. There are probably a lot of christians that you dont hear about in the paper or on the news because bad news sells apparently.

Christianity is reall about Jesus though isn't it? I think that there was a Jesus and that he was a smart man who set about teaching a group of followers and setting a example.

So anyway i've avoided it probably because im looking for excuses, like im scared that I could be wrong or something. Allthough I really do not think of myself of a coward(or a newbie! How many posts for next rank?)

I suppose I have some questions but eh yea move along!

GERONIMO!
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I can very much understand being turned-off to Christianity because of the bad examples you read or hear about in the media, or maybe experience in life. I get discouraged myself but I believe in the Lord, not in those people, so I keep things in perspective. Welcome to the board, and I hope you learn much. People come to the Lord in different ways, but it seems that although there are many ways, most people just want to know that He is real.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
The11thDr.
Established Member

Post by The11thDr. »

Well I dont know about lord but there was a jesus(and a confuscius and a plato) all those people who wanted the world to be better yea they did exist sure.

Atleast the news in my country isnt as bad as Fox, it is pro-euro and that is a great shame because the EU costs this country like 400 billion.

Ps. like my Doctor Who avatar?
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Yeah, sure, there is enough evidence that Jesus existed as a person. But, he claimed to be God. Confucius, Plato, Buddha - none of them claimed this. As CS Lewis said, Jesus was either a liar, a lunatic, or who he claimed to be. If he were a liar or lunatic, why listen to him?

I haven't seen anything with the new doctor in it yet - I don't have satellite of cable. I DO want to get the new movie collection though. I still need a job . . .
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

What country are you from, 11thDr?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
The11thDr.
Established Member

Post by The11thDr. »

England(or THE WEST EUROPE ZONE-when england is abolished by the EU)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

The11thDr. wrote:England(or THE WEST EUROPE ZONE-when england is abolished by the EU)
OK...thanks. I'll be in London this summer but only for one day. The rest of the time I'll be in Lille.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

The11thDr. wrote:Well its kind of what you hear in the media about christian hypocracy that put me off. But I then I decided that it was just sensationalist. There are probably a lot of christians that you dont hear about in the paper or on the news because bad news sells apparently.
Yes.. That is true. There can be hypocracy in the Church... But there can also be genuine Christianity too.
The11thDr. wrote:Christianity is reall about Jesus though isn't it? I think that there was a Jesus and that he was a smart man who set about teaching a group of followers and setting a example.
I think one of the greatest teachings of Christ is humiliation.. Not promoting ourselves, but others.
The11thDr. wrote:So anyway i've avoided it probably because im looking for excuses, like im scared that I could be wrong or something. Allthough I really do not think of myself of a coward(or a newbie! How many posts for next rank?)

GERONIMO!
We all have questions and doubts.. There is nothing wrong with that..

Welcome. :)
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

The11thDr. wrote:Well its kind of what you hear in the media about christian hypocracy that put me off. But I then I decided that it was just sensationalist. There are probably a lot of christians that you dont hear about in the paper or on the news because bad news sells apparently.

Christianity is reall about Jesus though isn't it? I think that there was a Jesus and that he was a smart man who set about teaching a group of followers and setting a example.

So anyway i've avoided it probably because im looking for excuses, like im scared that I could be wrong or something. Allthough I really do not think of myself of a coward(or a newbie! How many posts for next rank?)

GERONIMO!
Oh boy, the things the media will say. You are right to doubt them, they do not represent the main stream Christians. I could tell you stories I have heard.... oh the stories.... they really don't get it right. Not to mention how the Discovery channel and History Channel and what have you also tend to horribly misrepresent us. We really don't get much of a fair showing in the spotlight of the world unless we do it ourselves it seems...

Yes it is about Jesus the Christ. Well it is more or less about God and His plans for man kind and how we can be saved through Jesus, but yes Jesus (being God) is a big part of that. Feel free to ask more about this in another thread (or here) if you like.

What kind of excuses do you mean, like an excuse to just not believe? So you are scared you might be wrong... hm... had that problem myself once about my faith, I wondered if I was getting into something that was in the end wrong (I was not a very educated individual back then) but then I started to study and I came here (The main site is a huge help!!!!!!! Please read some of the stuff there!!) and began to understand more. Now I am not afraid that I am wrong, I have faith and God helps me when my faith is weak. He has also been very personal with me in my life since I have accepted Him in as my Lord and savior. Oh and so far as the posts needed to get a new rank..... Member Ranking
Hope you have fun on this board and that you learn what you need to!

Oh and Hi Vicki!!!! :wave: y@};- y~o) y~o) Would you like some coffee? I can't have some right now, but I will have tea!
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Gabrielman wrote: Oh and Hi Vicki!!!! :wave: y@};- y~o) y~o) Would you like some coffee? I can't have some right now, but I will have tea!
Of course I'd like some coffee! y>:D< So . . . does that mean you're going to watch me drink it, while you have tea? So when are you taking me to Starbucks??? y:D y@};- y~o) + y~o) = N & V

Dr:11, that sounds awful, not being England anymore, sort of. In a way, you guys are doing the opposite of we did here in the U.S.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

cslewislover wrote: Of course I'd like some coffee! y>:D< So . . . does that mean you're going to watch me drink it, while you have tea? So when are you taking me to Starbucks??? y:D y@};- y~o) + y~o) = N & V
Yes I will watch you drink it while I have some tea, but that is okay! Because hopefully the doc will have me stable enough to have something good soon!!!! As far as Starbucks, Soon I hope! y:D How about tomorrow? Would you like to go then?
y~o) + y~o) =N & V :heart:
cslewislover wrote: Dr:11, that sounds awful, not being England anymore, sort of. In a way, you guys are doing the opposite of we did here in the U.S.
Well that sucks :? why are they doing that?