Any teachers on this board?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Any teachers on this board?

Post by Silvertusk »

Hi

Just wondering if there are any other teachers on this board? How do you find working with spoilt, arrogant, rude, nasty teenagers? A breath of fresh air? Or do you lose all faith in humanity?

Silvertusk
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

I'm not a teacher, but I always think a good slap on the rear is a good way to get these kids attention these days. If that doesn't work, there are other weapons that could possibly do the trick as well... :lol:

G -
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Gman wrote:I'm not a teacher, but I always think a good slap on the rear is a good way to get these kids attention these days. If that doesn't work, there are other weapons that could possibly do the trick as well... :lol:

G -
By the time the kid is a teenager, a "good slap on the rear" is more likely to get you some less desirable form of attention. However, some good quality physical rough-and-tumble done purely in meaningful fun can certainly work well with young lads. I trust you are joking, Gman, as suggested by your smilie, since unfortunately some teens will reach for the weapons themselves.

I'm not a teacher but I am a parent. Teenagers do not always have very attractive ways of behaving and no matter how "well brought up" they were by their parents, the peer group influence by that age is overwhelmingly strong. Same goes for all those other influences beyond the home. A breath of fresh air? Sometimes, but often the air is not nicely scented at all. Lose all faith in humanity? I probably would if I didn't believe that change does occur. One learns to be patience and come to appreciate that change is less to be feared than desired.

Are you a teacher, Silvertusk?
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Judah wrote:
Gman wrote:I'm not a teacher, but I always think a good slap on the rear is a good way to get these kids attention these days. If that doesn't work, there are other weapons that could possibly do the trick as well... :lol:

G -
By the time the kid is a teenager, a "good slap on the rear" is more likely to get you some less desirable form of attention. However, some good quality physical rough-and-tumble done purely in meaningful fun can certainly work well with young lads. I trust you are joking, Gman, as suggested by your smilie, since unfortunately some teens will reach for the weapons themselves.

I'm not a teacher but I am a parent. Teenagers do not always have very attractive ways of behaving and no matter how "well brought up" they were by their parents, the peer group influence by that age is overwhelmingly strong. Same goes for all those other influences beyond the home. A breath of fresh air? Sometimes, but often the air is not nicely scented at all. Lose all faith in humanity? I probably would if I didn't believe that change does occur. One learns to be patience and come to appreciate that change is less to be feared than desired.

Are you a teacher, Silvertusk?
I am indeed a teacher. And just had a very bad day. I guess i have to keep remembering that God loves them even if at the moment they are driving me absolutely around the bend.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Silvertusk wrote: I am indeed a teacher. And just had a very bad day. I guess i have to keep remembering that God loves them even if at the moment they are driving me absolutely around the bend.
I can identify with that. My teenager drives me absolutely around the bend often enough too. Hang in there! 8)
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Judah wrote:By the time the kid is a teenager, a "good slap on the rear" is more likely to get you some less desirable form of attention. However, some good quality physical rough-and-tumble done purely in meaningful fun can certainly work well with young lads. I trust you are joking, Gman, as suggested by your smilie, since unfortunately some teens will reach for the weapons themselves.
Sorry guys, just joking... Yes, if you slap a child here in the U.S. you can go to jail for that. I was mostly raised in private schools so when I was a younger lad, I got the old paddle when I got out of line. In Catholic school it was different. They used humiliation tactics such as spelling words and telling their meanings in front of the whole class. Nonetheless, I became pretty good at understanding words.

G -
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Birdie
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Birdie »

Gman wrote:
Judah wrote:By the time the kid is a teenager, a "good slap on the rear" is more likely to get you some less desirable form of attention. However, some good quality physical rough-and-tumble done purely in meaningful fun can certainly work well with young lads. I trust you are joking, Gman, as suggested by your smilie, since unfortunately some teens will reach for the weapons themselves.
Sorry guys, just joking... Yes, if you slap a child here in the U.S. you can go to jail for that. I was mostly raised in private schools so when I was a younger lad, I got the old paddle when I got out of line. In Catholic school it was different. They used humiliation tactics such as spelling words and telling their meanings in front of the whole class. Nonetheless, I became pretty good at understanding words.

G -
What do you mean spelling words? That doesn't seem humiliating, but don't think I'm getting the point.

And not all teenagers are mindless people who only do what there friends do (but I guess most are…). And I would HATE to be a teacher. It seems these days the teachers get bullied more than the kids do. What's worst is that the kids that are bugging you don't care about their grades so you can't really threaten them by saying you'll give them an F. I would rather be a grave digger than a teacher. Probably better pay to and the customers never back talk you. Just remember that as a teacher you get the summers off! Unless you work another job because you get paid so bad because you're a teacher…
StapleSauce
Newbie Member

Post by StapleSauce »

I graduated from high school last June and I hate to admit it but I did act rather disrespectfully towards teachers through out high school. Starting in grade 1, the vast majority of teachers made me feel like dirt on an almost daily basis. If I didn't understand something or asked for help I was made to feel like an idiot. Eventually it got to the point where I would rather struggle and fail than ask for help. When I got into high school I took almost every chance I had to act like an ass towards my teachers. It just felt good to take out some of my frustrations on them. I wasn't nearly as bad as most of my peers but I could have (and should have) behaved better. :oops:
Birdie
Recognized Member

Post by Birdie »

StapleSauce wrote:I graduated from high school last June and I hate to admit it but I did act rather disrespectfully towards teachers through out high school. Starting in grade 1, the vast majority of teachers made me feel like dirt on an almost daily basis. If I didn't understand something or asked for help I was made to feel like an idiot. Eventually it got to the point where I would rather struggle and fail than ask for help. When I got into high school I took almost every chance I had to act like an *** towards my teachers. It just felt good to take out some of my frustrations on them. I wasn't nearly as bad as most of my peers but I could have (and should have) behaved better. :oops:
Hey I feel stupid in school too! I started feeling like dirt when I was in the 2nd grade. Even though most of the teachers that made me feel bad weren't doing it intentionally. I don't ask for help in school, I can figure the problem out myself, most of the time... But one of my worst memories is where I was asking a question and when I was younger I had a bit of a speech problem, one teacher kept making me ask the question again and again and again and again it must have been at least a half an hour before she finally gave up on trying to make me talk right. In front of the whole class too. I think she was doing it just to be mean too.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Birdie wrote:
StapleSauce wrote:I graduated from high school last June and I hate to admit it but I did act rather disrespectfully towards teachers through out high school. Starting in grade 1, the vast majority of teachers made me feel like dirt on an almost daily basis. If I didn't understand something or asked for help I was made to feel like an idiot. Eventually it got to the point where I would rather struggle and fail than ask for help. When I got into high school I took almost every chance I had to act like an *** towards my teachers. It just felt good to take out some of my frustrations on them. I wasn't nearly as bad as most of my peers but I could have (and should have) behaved better. :oops:
Hey I feel stupid in school too! I started feeling like dirt when I was in the 2nd grade. Even though most of the teachers that made me feel bad weren't doing it intentionally. I don't ask for help in school, I can figure the problem out myself, most of the time... But one of my worst memories is where I was asking a question and when I was younger I had a bit of a speech problem, one teacher kept making me ask the question again and again and again and again it must have been at least a half an hour before she finally gave up on trying to make me talk right. In front of the whole class too. I think she was doing it just to be mean too.
Being a teacher now i believe I have authority to speak about this. I am sure there are some bad teachers out there - but these are a minority. However, what most kids dont realise that they have had to deal with over 100 kids before they even had to deal with you. When you are given constant disrespect you can expect teachers to get a little testy. It is one of the hardest jobs to do outside of the services in a developed country especially with more responsibility placed on the schools and away from the parents. We are teachers, mentors, parents, social workers, prison wardens, diplomats and hopefully amongst that we are also human beings. Kids in my country really dont know how lucky they are to get a free education all the way up to 18.

Being on this side of the front line I now understand how much pressure teachers are under to deliver and having disruptful children does not help.

Dont get me wrong I know why people do this job, because the majority of children are really nice and you do see them develop and grow, which is such a buzz. But it is hard work.
Birdie
Recognized Member

Post by Birdie »

I didn't do anything to that teacher, oh and by the way I'm pretty sure American kids are worst :lol:. Oh the the teacher that was bugging me was at a private school so all the kids were good. Actually all the teachers that were purposely mean to me were private schools. You a public school teacher? And what grade you teach? And I did say most of what made me feel stupid was unintentional. But I'm pretty sure most kids who give you problems don't care about their grades anyway, probally just want to show off or something. :?
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I say bring back corporal punishment and that big paddle with the holes in it that the principal used to keep in his office. Spare the rod and spoil the child...say what? :wink:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Birdie wrote:I didn't do anything to that teacher, oh and by the way I'm pretty sure American kids are worst :lol:. Oh the the teacher that was bugging me was at a private school so all the kids were good. Actually all the teachers that were purposely mean to me were private schools. You a public school teacher? And what grade you teach? And I did say most of what made me feel stupid was unintentional. But I'm pretty sure most kids who give you problems don't care about their grades anyway, probally just want to show off or something. :?
I am a secondary school teacher in a comprehensive school (state run). I teach all years 7 - 13 (Sixth form). We have a problem here were kids are lazy and dont want to learn and a serious lack of respect in some cases.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Silvertusk, I was reading an article written by Dr Albert Mohler, president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, and thought this excerpt described something of what it sounds (to me) that you are finding yourself up against with kids at school. He is writing about the challenge of postmodernism.
The Decline of Authority

Since postmodern culture is committed to a radical vision of liberation, all authorities must be overthrown. Among the dethroned authorities are texts, authors, traditions, metanarratives, the Bible, God, and all powers on heaven and earth. Except, of course, for the authority of the postmodern theorists and cultural figures, who wield their power in the name of oppressed peoples everywhere.

According to the postmodernists, those in authority use their power to remain in power, and to serve their own interests. Their laws, traditions, texts, and "truth" are nothing more than that which is designed to maintain them in power.

So, the authority of governmental leaders is eroded, as is the authority of teachers, community leaders, parents, and ministers. Ultimately, the authority of God is rejected as totalitarian and autocratic. Ministers are representatives of this autocratic deity, and are to be resisted as authorities as well.

Doctrines, traditions, creeds and confessions--all are to be rejected and charged with limiting self-expression and representing oppressive authority. Preachers are tolerated so long as they stick to therapeutic messages of enhanced self-esteem, and resisted whenever they inject divine authority or universal claims to truth in their sermons.

The Displacement of Morality

Ivan, in Fyodor Dostoyevsky's novel The Brothers Karamazov was right--if God is dead everything is permissible. The God allowed by postmodernism is not the God of the Bible, but a vague idea of spirituality. There are no tablets of stone, no Ten Commandments . . . no rules.

Morality is, along with other foundations of culture, discarded as oppressive and totalitarian. A pervasive moral relativism marks postmodern culture. This is not to say that postmodernists are reluctant to employ moral language. To the contrary, postmodern culture is filled with moral discourse. But the issues of moral concern are quite arbitrary, and in many cases represent a reversal of biblical morality.

Homosexuality, for example, is openly advocated and accepted. The rise of gay and lesbian studies in universities, the emergence of homosexual political power, and the homoerotic images now common to popular culture mark this dramatic moral reversal. Homosexuality is no longer considered a sin. Homophobia is now targeted as sin, and demands for tolerance of "alternative lifestyles" have now turned into demand for public celebration of all lifestyles as morally equal.

Michael Jones described modernity as "rationalized sexual misbehavior," and postmodernity is its logical extension. Michel Foucault, who argued that all sexual morality is an abuse of power, called for postmodernism to celebrate "polymorphous perversity." He lived and died dedicated to this lifestyle, and his prophecy has been fulfilled in this decade.
Read the whole article here.
Birdie
Recognized Member

Post by Birdie »

Silvertusk wrote:
Birdie wrote:I didn't do anything to that teacher, oh and by the way I'm pretty sure American kids are worst :lol:. Oh the the teacher that was bugging me was at a private school so all the kids were good. Actually all the teachers that were purposely mean to me were private schools. You a public school teacher? And what grade you teach? And I did say most of what made me feel stupid was unintentional. But I'm pretty sure most kids who give you problems don't care about their grades anyway, probally just want to show off or something. :?
I am a secondary school teacher in a comprehensive school (state run). I teach all years 7 - 13 (Sixth form). We have a problem here were kids are lazy and dont want to learn and a serious lack of respect in some cases.
Ouch, teenagers. :( Best advice... "If you give them an inch, they'll take a mile".

In one of my classes (computers) the teacher started out saying, no internet games. A bunch of kids played them anyway. So then he just let it go. Then some of those bunch started turned the music on the games. He still didn't say anything. Afterwards, a bunch of kids had it blasting on a violet Internet game and dirty sound clips and was laughing at the teacher who saying “Please, just turn it down please!” Just saying something about a behavior may help a lot.

Of course the inch thing shouldn't apply as much to homework.

“Oh I forgot it in my locker, can I turn it in after school.”
“No, you get a zero."
Because at least the kids then are trying.
"Hope is the thing with feathers"