sweatshops

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: sweatshops

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:Thats not me, Im not Japanese. Anyone who implicates that I am is either a commie, morally weak, or simply insane.

Implicates? I think you mean insinuates.
I don't see the difference between Chinese and Japanese anyways. China is part of the Japanese empire, right?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:Thats not me, Im not Japanese. Anyone who implicates that I am is either a commie, morally weak, or simply insane.

Implicates? I think you mean insinuates.
I don't see the difference between Chinese and Japanese anyways. China is part of the Japanese empire, right?
I think I mean, like Hunpty Dumpty says, that words mean whatever I say they mean, neither more nor less.

I also think you didnt say which of the above 3 possibilities applies to you.

As for your "Japanese Empire" an inquiry sent to the League of Nations on this very subject elecited the following response:

We are unable to find any confirmatory reference or other evidence of the "Japanese Empire" no more than we can for the many inquiries received concerning the locality of the so-called African gold fields, also so much lately in the news.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Well, as Rick so clearly demonstrated, there are two very different measures of race. There is pure genetics - which mostly show that we're all intermixed "mutts." And then there is how one is physically perceived along with the racial tag most would assign to them. For instance, Barack Obama is typically viewed to be a black man, while his mother and her line within him are largely a caucaison-appearing mix. Asians are completely mixed as well. Yes, long static populations have produced a redundancy of similar physical features in certain geographic locations. But I can guarantee you that there are many Asians who, when merely looking at other Asians, are either uncertain or wrong about what area they are actually from, and whether they are mostly of Japanese or Chinese heritage, or Korean, etc. Just like, by mere appearance, I can't tell a Brit from a Russian or Slavic person - except that none of them tan well. :lol:
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

With Asians, after some practice, one can usually get it right. A lot better than random guessing.

Some of it is in their manner. i was in Alaska, for example, and saw some Eskimos who look very Asian but their dress and manner is utterly unlike any Chinese or Korean, say.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Audie: Some of it is in their manner. i was in Alaska, for example, and saw some Eskimos who look very Asian but their dress and manner is utterly unlike any Chinese or Korean, say.

Yes. And look at just how Asian are the features in many photos of early Native Americans:

Image :roll:

Image (guy in the top/back) :shock: :lol:
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Audie wrote:With Asians, after some practice, one can usually get it right. A lot better than random guessing.

Some of it is in their manner. i was in Alaska, for example, and saw some Eskimos who look very Asian but their dress and manner is utterly unlike any Chinese or Korean, say.
Eskimos are stockier - barrel-shaped - than real Chinamen from China, Japan or Korea. Also, they don't talk in the funny sing-song languidge of real Chinkese.

FL :fyi:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

FL wrote: Also, they don't talk in the funny sing-song languidge of real Chinkese.
FL, it's one thing to have a sense of humor and to poke fun at our cultural - even physical - differences. And I hate political correctness as much as anyone. But what you wrote here is just plain offensive. "Chink" is the Asian insult akin to "nigger!" You may not have meant it, but NO Christian (or anyone) has any business using that term!
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Philip wrote:
FL wrote: Also, they don't talk in the funny sing-song languidge of real Chinkese.
FL, it's one thing to have a sense of humor and to poke fun at our cultural - even physical - differences. And I hate political correctness as much as anyone. But what you wrote here is just plain offensive. "Chink" is the Asian insult akin to "nigger!" You may not have meant it, but NO Christian (or anyone) has any business using that term!
Oh, shut up! Chinadoll herself has used Chink. As in "49kg of fighting Chinkette"...Go back home and open up a case of 24 Bud and you'll calm down soon enough...then change the oïl in your pickup.

FL :lol:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

FL, I really don't care WHO else uses such a term - Audie or anyone else! And I don't want to put on my MOD hat, but I will if need be. Not to mention, this is a Christian forum where the last thing Christians here need to do is to use a universally recognized racist term. I mean, what do you care more about, trying to be whimsical and sarcastically funny or potentially greatly offending people that you might have an important influence on?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Philip wrote:FL, I really don't care WHO else uses such a term - Audie or anyone else! And I don't want to put on my MOD hat, but I will if need be. Not to mention, this is a Christian forum where the last thing Christians here need to do is to use a universally recognized racist term. I mean, what do you care more about, trying to be whimsical and sarcastically funny or potentially greatly offending people that you might have an important influence on?
I did call myself that. There is a double standard, one that I now renounce.

In college, someone wrote "chink" on my dorm door. I tracked him down from the handwriting.
It was not funny, any of it.

I wish to apologize for introducing the word to any discussion.

Light hearted banter can and does turn on a dime when there is actual disdain / hostility behind it. You are correct for stepping in for the sake of decorum and
for pulling the wires off the blasting caps before we have something to regret.
Last edited by Audie on Sat May 16, 2015 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Philip wrote:
Oh, shut up! Chinadoll herself has used Chink. As in "49kg of fighting Chinkette"...Go back home and open up a case of 24 Bud and you'll calm down soon enough...then change the oïl in your pickup.

FL, this is not how to speak to a moderator.
Please, respect moderators here.
Thank you.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Audie wrote:
Philip wrote:FL, I really don't care WHO else uses such a term - Audie or anyone else! And I don't want to put on my MOD hat, but I will if need be. Not to mention, this is a Christian forum where the last thing Christians here need to do is to use a universally recognized racist term. I mean, what do you care more about, trying to be whimsical and sarcastically funny or potentially greatly offending people that you might have an important influence on?
I did call myself that. There is a double standard, one that I now renounce.

In college, someone wrote "chink" on my dorm door. I tracked him down from the handwriting.
It was not funny, any of it.

I wish to apologize for introducing the word to any discussion.

Light hearted banter can and does turn on a dime when there is actual disdain / hostility behind it. You are correct for stepping in for the sake of decorum and
for pulling the wires off the blasting caps before we have something to regret.
What?! I really wish I could count on you to be congruent with yourself, especially since you are studying law. Apparently, I can't. Sanitizing language is a very American trait, one that presents a veneer of politeness and political corectness while covering a lot of systemic evil.

Perhaps you should be congratulated on your newfound righteousness...

FL :shakehead:

+ + +

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I've never heard that C word used in any way but a derogatory ethnic slur.

It kinda makes me cringe when I hear it. Not unlike the N word, when I hear that.

From what I understand, the C word is a derogatory ethnic slur that originated in the U.S. In the 1890's. It had something to do with the large number of Chinese immigrants, and the threat that Americans thought that the Chinese were to their way of life.

So, similar to the N word, the C word is a derogatory ethnic slur which began with white Americans who at best guess, were racists.

With that being said, I don't think it's appropriate to use the term here. My 2 cents, fwiw.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:I've never heard that C word used in any way but a derogatory ethnic slur.

It kinda makes me cringe when I hear it. Not unlike the N word, when I hear that.

From what I understand, the C word is a derogatory ethnic slur that originated in the U.S. In the 1890's. It had something to do with the large number of Chinese immigrants, and the threat that Americans thought that the Chinese were to their way of life.

So, similar to the N word, the C word is a derogatory ethnic slur which began with white Americans who at best guess, were racists.

With that being said, I don't think it's appropriate to use the term here. My 2 cents, fwiw.
Back in the day when I was working with prisonners, I had this Jamaican guy with me. The Jamaican listened to a lot of music that used "The N word". I asked him, "Isn't that a derogatory term?" He said that it wasn't as long as a black person was using it but that I could never use it because it would be racist. I told him that was idiotic reasoning. His parole officer, a black woman, overheard our conversation and told us, "You are both right." So, I told her that her comment was, "sophisticated idiotic reasoning." The same thing can't be both right and wrong depending upon whom is using it.

I understand Americans and their tendency to sanitize and cover up and pretend that all is well because that is an unfortunate trait of modern American culture. It's amusing that black humorists & singers use "The N word" with impunity but if I use the same word I am branded a racist.

Double standards! Hypoocrites!

+ + +

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
RickD wrote:I've never heard that C word used in any way but a derogatory ethnic slur.

Back in the day when I was working with prisonners, I had this Jamaican guy with me. The Jamaican listened to a lot of music that used "The N word". I asked him, "Isn't that a derogatory term?" He said that it wasn't as long as a black person was using it but that I could never use it because it would be racist. I told him that was idiotic reasoning. His parole officer, a black woman, overheard our conversation and told us, "You are both right." So, I told her that her comment was, "sophisticated idiotic reasoning." The same thing can't be both right and wrong depending upon whom is using it.

I understand Americans and their tendency to sanitize and cover up and pretend that all is well because that is an unfortunate trait of modern American culture. It's amusing that black humorists & singers use "The N word" with impunity but if I use the same word I am branded a racist.

Double standards! Hypoocrites!

I agree with you FL. It's bad whoever uses it.

-Edward R Murrow