Romance blooms and lovelife blues

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Nicki
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Romance blooms and lovelife blues

Post by Nicki »

My love life has not gone at all the way I envisaged when I was younger. There were quite a few guys I felt I was in love with at various times but it never seemed to be returned (they were usually pretty unsuitable anyway). Then when I was 25 I met my husband at work (he was new; we didn't work together as such). I thought he was not bad-looking, found out he was single, got to talk to him a few times and hinted about asking me out, which he did. He wasn't a Christian although he had some background in the church, so I shared about that with him. We got engaged after about a month, but we were having problems already - with the arguments we had I really didn't like him much sometimes. I just didn't want to give up on the relationship though; I kept trying to tell him that we were supposed to be partners, not enemies, that we should be kind and caring to each other instead of being rude and taking each other for granted...

We had a lot of conflicts after we got married and had our first son as well. It always seemed to be him getting angry at me when I just wanted to discuss things nicely - whichever of us started the discussion. I think he's really improved and mellowed over the years though - we can go many weeks without a major argument, although I do think he can have a bit of an aggressive attitude to other people sometimes (when he's driving, usually), which seems like a bad example for the kids. I've become a bit more resilient about, and been reacting better to, some of the things he says and his moods as well. I feel a bit sad when I think of how I missed out on being in love with someone who was in love with me too, but on the plus side we enjoy many of the same things in life and have the same basic values and goals, he's pretty funny generally and we laugh a lot, he's usually quite thoughtful these days - and some other things ;) So it's not too bad.
Vergil
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Vergil »

Nicki wrote:My love life has not gone at all the way I envisaged when I was younger. There were quite a few guys I felt I was in love with at various times but it never seemed to be returned (they were usually pretty unsuitable anyway). Then when I was 25 I met my husband at work (he was new; we didn't work together as such). I thought he was not bad-looking, found out he was single, got to talk to him a few times and hinted about asking me out, which he did. He wasn't a Christian although he had some background in the church, so I shared about that with him. We got engaged after about a month, but we were having problems already - with the arguments we had I really didn't like him much sometimes. I just didn't want to give up on the relationship though; I kept trying to tell him that we were supposed to be partners, not enemies, that we should be kind and caring to each other instead of being rude and taking each other for granted...

We had a lot of conflicts after we got married and had our first son as well. It always seemed to be him getting angry at me when I just wanted to discuss things nicely - whichever of us started the discussion. I think he's really improved and mellowed over the years though - we can go many weeks without a major argument, although I do think he can have a bit of an aggressive attitude to other people sometimes (when he's driving, usually), which seems like a bad example for the kids. I've become a bit more resilient about, and been reacting better to, some of the things he says and his moods as well. I feel a bit sad when I think of how I missed out on being in love with someone who was in love with me too, but on the plus side we enjoy many of the same things in life and have the same basic values and goals, he's pretty funny generally and we laugh a lot, he's usually quite thoughtful these days - and some other things ;) So it's not too bad.
Oh my, well i pray that it stick to arguments or overall pray that you two find each other.

But i guess that's the fruits of marriage isn't it? people tend to be happy and have arguments and such but still love each other, well i thank you for sharing this Milady, so tell me, how many kids do you have as of now? (if it's okay to you)
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Vergil wrote:Oh my, well i pray that it stick to arguments or overall pray that you two find each other.

But i guess that's the fruits of marriage isn't it? people tend to be happy and have arguments and such but still love each other, well i thank you for sharing this Milady, so tell me, how many kids do you have as of now? (if it's okay to you)
We've got two boys - that's enough :) I used to work with someone who was pretty old-fashioned; he thought that everyone should give marriage one go and seemed to think it doesn't matter much who you marry, as long as you follow traditional male/female roles and the woman doesn't get too bossy :roll: - he was separated from his wife. I argued that people should get married because they love each other, and not just for the sake of being married, but then I went and basically got married for the sake of being married at the first possible opportunity :roll:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Vergil wrote:I would like to hear about your romantic life cause it might either make a good story or just make people cry on how cute or sweet it is, it would also help to see how would a relationship go (since I myself haven't been in a relationship since birth) and other than that, i would like to hear all your stories on God's greatest gift he gave to us other than the Triumphant Prince of Peace Jesus Christ, and that is Love itself.

(Uhm, noble moderators, if this isn't allowed please feel free to delete this)
Sorry,

I don't kiss and tell. y[-(
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Vergil wrote:I would like to hear about your romantic life cause it might either make a good story or just make people cry on how cute or sweet it is, it would also help to see how would a relationship go (since I myself haven't been in a relationship since birth) and other than that, i would like to hear all your stories on God's greatest gift he gave to us other than the Triumphant Prince of Peace Jesus Christ, and that is Love itself.

Sorry,

I like the non katy perry approach :censored:
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:

Sorry,

So bad. Where is my dislike button? :comeon:

Nicki wrote:.
So, you got married but you do not love each other? That's bad. I am a child of such marriage. It is really annoying to not only feel the lack of love between the parents (and tries to hide that with jokes/laughs) but also listen to them arguing. Usually over banal and dumb things. So sad.
Meh, not stating it would be the same in your case. Don't get discouraged, eh?
Reminds me of:
  • "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
:mrgreen:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

IceMobster wrote:
So, you got married but you do not love each other? That's bad. I am a child of such marriage. It is really annoying to not only feel the lack of love between the parents (and tries to hide that with jokes/laughs) but also listen to them arguing. Usually over banal and dumb things. So sad.
Reminds me of:
  • "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
We are generally happy though, and you can be loving and caring without actually feeling romantic love.
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Nicki wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Reminds me of:
We are generally happy though, and you can be loving and caring without actually feeling romantic love.
Fair enough.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Vergil
Established Member

Post by Vergil »

Nicki wrote:
Vergil wrote:Oh my, well i pray that it stick to arguments or overall pray that you two find each other.

We've got two boys - that's enough :) I used to work with someone who was pretty old-fashioned; he thought that everyone should give marriage one go and seemed to think it doesn't matter much who you marry, as long as you follow traditional male/female roles and the woman doesn't get too bossy :roll: - he was separated from his wife. I argued that people should get married because they love each other, and not just for the sake of being married, but then I went and basically got married for the sake of being married at the first possible opportunity :roll:
I honestly don't believe in the traditional marriage (Political one) like you (and everyone else here) I want marriage to be of Love, like God has intended for us, i want it to be merry and jovial, and a celebration of joy due to two hearts becoming one, one in joy, one in hardships, one in happiness and in sorrow, and one in faith and in Love.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley
Vergil
Established Member

Post by Vergil »

RickD wrote:

Sorry,

As you say, Milord.

But i would love to hear your story someday, when your ready.
- Jesus Christ

- Charles Stanley
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

This is one of the most romantic movies on marriage I have ever seen. Its not Christian but it speaks of bitterness, redemption, forgivenness, personal growth, perseverence... of real love.
Full of sorrow yet sweetness

You have to really watch the whole thing to grasp the beauty.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:This is one of the most romantic movies on marriage I have ever seen. Its not Christian but it speaks of bitterness, redemption, forgivenness, personal growth, perseverence... of real love.

I saw that movie. I don't really remember it though. I think I only watched it because Naomi watts was in it. She's purdy!
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:This is one of the most romantic movies on marriage I have ever seen. Its not Christian but it speaks of bitterness, redemption, forgivenness, personal growth, perseverence... of real love.

I saw that movie. I don't really remember it though. I think I only watched it because Naomi watts was in it. She's purdy!
The character she played started out as a selfish biatch and ended up pure class. I loved watching the transformation throughout the movie.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:

The character she played started out as a selfish biatch and ended up pure class. I loved watching the transformation throughout the movie.
She started out purdy, and remained that way throughout. :mrgreen:
Her husband is in the movie too. Liev Schreiber.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:

She started out purdy, and remained that way throughout. :mrgreen:
Her husband is in the movie too. Liev Schreiber.
Was that the guy she cheated with? So she cheated on her husband with her husband? Interesting y:-?