Should I claim to be a Catholic?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Re: Should I claim to be a Catholic?

Post by IceMobster »

Jac3510 wrote:No

edit:

And for the record, Catholicism doesn't merely teach that Mary was sinless before she was conceived. Catholicism teaches that Mary was born without original sin (that's called Immaculate Conception) and that she never sinned. To be clear, Catholicism teaches that Mary still needed to be saved from sin, and that she was saved from sin and that by her son Jesus Christ. An analogy I have heard used in this regard is Jesus protecting her from falling into a pit. Without Jesus' intervention, she would have fallen into sin. He preserved her from that, and therefore they teach that Jesus saved her from her sins no less than He saves us from ours.

If all that isn't enough for you, they teach the perpetual virginity of Mary--even after she gave birth to Christ, she never "knew" Joseph. And they teach that when she died, her body was taken directly into heaven (that is called the Assumption of Mary). Finally, all of these teachings are dogma (I may be wrong about the assumption be dogma, but I think it is, too), and since the RCC says you cannot deny dogma and be saved, I'll let you draw the obvious implication.

edit2:

I am not Catholic.
CC*, not RCC. Catholic Church is consisted of more denominations, not just the Roman Catholicism.
Storyteller wrote:
melanie wrote:As you shouldn't, we all walk different paths.
Some of the most beautiful Christians I've known have been through church and some of the most hypocritical have been in church.
But I have had a different experience to you.
I was brought up within the church.
I went through Catholic schooling, was batisted Lutheran, went to a Presbyterian Sunday school and youth group, visited regularly Penetcostal churches with my Nan, then when I was older continued in a baptist church and I found at the end, I really love God but I don't like religion.
My critisism is across the board.
God is best found within not externally.
Once upon a time I don't think this was the case, but everything has deteriorated from its original
Glory, man and church included.
I watched and observed very closely over the years and I strongly believe the revelation of Christ lives within us.
mel, I am stunned.

In a good way.

Will respond later, but you have somehow revealed something to me, I am crying tears of joy, I need to figure out why xoxox
church = a building
Church = community of people going to church (among other definitions)

Thank you for your replies.

I just realized I shouldn't even call myself Christian, actually.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

finally y#-o your reasonable answer was at hand.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
I just realized I shouldn't even call myself Christian, actually

finally y#-o your reasonable answer was at hand.
Hey RockLobster,

Mind telling us what you mean?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

the original question was;

Should I claim to be a Catholic if I do not see reason or believe in certain teachings presented by the Catholic Church?

his final answer was;

imo, the only reasonable answer at hand then is .... no y:-? :incense:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

clever
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

OK, this term, "organized religion," really bugs me. Is it the organizing and coming together that bugs everyone, or is it embracing of religion (see man-made practices and doctrine - as opposed to those revolving around the teachings of Scripture)? Was the early church not organized? Were specifics of criteria for those leading the churches not given? Of course they were! Did the Apostles not have God's mandate to spread the Gospel AND organize churches with believers regularly meeting, praying and worshiping together. Clearly! Were all of the people in those early churches perfect in believe and practice, or did many of them not struggle with what Christ called them to, even many of them having hypocrisy in their lives and actions? Obviously, they had many individual issues. But still they were called to regular fellowship with other believers by God.

If one expects that they will ever find a perfect church, in which EVERYONE has it together, where people don't have issues, or aren't in some way hypocritical, then you'll never do as Jesus did when he was eating and drinking with tax collectors and sinners. Yes, a church may have many different appearances, but make no mistake, as Jesus said, "“It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick." And so don't expect to see spiritually perfect people in ANY church. Jesus fellowshipped regularly with spiritually messed up people. Why would we expect to not encounter some of the same types? And many of those same types will benefit immensely from regularly rubbing elbows with those of us whom are hopefully more spiritually mature. It's not ALL about us, but about others as well.

But as for what is taught in a given church, if it does not match up with Scripture - avoid it! Find one where it DOES!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Some of the most beautiful Christians I've known have been through church and some of the most hypocritical have been in church.
I went through Catholic schooling, was batisted Lutheran, went to a Presbyterian Sunday school and youth group, visited regularly Penetcostal churches with my Nan, then when I was older continued in a baptist church and I found at the end, I really love God but I don't like religion.
Once upon a time I don't think this was the case, but everything has deteriorated from its original
I watched and observed very closely over the years and I strongly believe the revelation of Christ lives within us.
The one caveat to going it alone, however... big risk, is that we start making a God after ourselves.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Kurieuo wrote:
The one caveat to going it alone, however... big risk, is that we start making a God after ourselves.
Not with Christ and the Holy Spirit in your heart and God in mind.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

here's one of my favorite reasons for church. found this earlier in the week and since he's a back yard hero ...
“Has it ever occurred to you that one hundred pianos all tuned to the same fork are automatically tuned to each other? They are of one accord by being tuned, not to each other, but to another standard to which each one must individually bow. So one hundred worshipers met together, each one looking away to Christ, are in heart nearer to each other than they could possibly be, were they to become 'unity' conscious and turn their eyes away from God to strive for closer fellowship.” 
― A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God
it is pleasing to me to feel the strength of unified prayer and song. "whenever two or more of you gather in my name."
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:here's one of my favorite reasons for church. found this earlier in the week and since he's a back yard hero ...
“Has it ever occurred to you that one hundred pianos all tuned to the same fork are automatically tuned to each other? They are of one accord by being tuned, not to each other, but to another standard to which each one must individually bow. So one hundred worshipers met together, each one looking away to Christ, are in heart nearer to each other than they could possibly be, were they to become 'unity' conscious and turn their eyes away from God to strive for closer fellowship.” 
― A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God
it is pleasing to me to feel the strength of unified prayer and song. "whenever two or more of you gather in my name."
:amen:
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Kurieuo wrote:
I don't think that risk is limited to going it alone.
Big denominations are just as much at risk, as history has shown.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

melanie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
True, Hillsong for example have said some theologically atrocious things.
I have seen greater risk with individuals, some rather personal who've gone bizzare.
Also, I've witness cultural saturation effect where societies values start influencing one's perspectives.
You know, a frog being cooked progressively by the temperature being turned up.
It is important to have brothers and sisters in Christ who can be some standard of correction.
That also includes myself. Furthermore, all who are in Christ are "the church". Christ is the cornerstone.

Ephesians 2:19-22 -
  • 19So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, 20having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, 21in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Storyteller wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Not with Christ and the Holy Spirit in your heart and God in mind.
Many Christians do go the wrong direction nonetheless.
But, you have qualified your words I think very well Annette.

There is an onus in the relationship our side of the fence too to love God with all our mind, heart and soul. (Matt 22:47)

Some think they can just get away with some heart-felt love such that it's all fluffy fluff fluff.
I've seen such turn God and their Christianity into a God of their own.

Others think they can just be all rational like always with the cold heart truth. Sometimes these people might think they're being rational, but really they're too following after of God of their own making. Melanie I expect would be the first to rightfully protest (or punch) such a "Christian" who'd preach fire and brimstone to gay people on the street.

But, there is balance, a balance between the mind and the heart.

When thrown out of balance, well, too much truth makes one cold and unempathic.
Too much heart, allows errors in doctrine and beliefs to seep in.

Such, is where I see the importance of having other Christians in our life,
especially ones who'll regularly disagree and challenge us. Kind of like this board in a way right?
Everyone seems to disagree quite often, and yet there is still a unity between us all.
I think I've really had a strong disagreement with everyone here at some point.
And well, I'm stronger for it as I'm sure they are. And we're still unified at our core.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Kurieuo wrote:
melanie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
True, Hillsong for example have said some theologically atrocious things.
I have seen greater risk with individuals, some rather personal who've gone bizzare.
Also, I've witness cultural saturation effect where societies values start influencing one's perspectives.
You know, a frog being cooked progressively by the temperature being turned up.
It is important to have brothers and sisters in Christ who can be some standard of correction.
That also includes myself. Furthermore, all who are in Christ are "the church". Christ is the cornerstone.

Ephesians 2:19-22 -
  • 19So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, 20having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, 21in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.
The Pentecostal Assemblies of God is one of the biggest denominations and they are pretty bizarre.
When you witness people getting slayed all over the place, lying on the floor, holy laughter and hundreds of people all shouting and yelling in some frenzy its pretty high on the odd factor.
Ironically this thread is about the questionable practices of the Catholic Church. (Sorry ES, I love you). The biggest denomination in the world and they have practices which are not biblical but steeped in the tradition of man.
This cultural saturation is prelevent within the church.
We all run the risk of a being a slowly boiled frog.
It's just a matter of whether we jump into the pot alone, with a few or many.

I agree though that discussion is important. Questioning our beliefs, having them questioned can only be beneficial for everyone.
Which I why I am here.
It's important to question what we think and pray on it.
Most of my theological positions come from a this is what I think perspective. That is why I'm not dogmatic about doctrines. It's important to be open and malleable.

Out of curiosity which church do you attend K?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I was brought up in AOG growing up, but really stopped attending in highschool years while parents still did.
Your pet peeves and sensitivities to do with "people judging" and the like are classic post-AOG church attending symptoms. ;)

Last I attended Baptist, about three years ago now.
Each Baptist church are kind of unique to their own though.
Even within the one church, you might have a really good pastor, and then a really bad one.
It's horrible when you're in the audience and the pastor out the front is really dropping the ball with what he's preaching.
You can get a really bad legalistic Baptist churches and many Christians who'd roast you or find you extremely suspect if they found out even you're Day-Age OEC. Or, if you didn't vote Liberal, or didn't have the right eschatology and this and that. I'm sure you know. Then when you get a more grace-filled church still with solid truth, well that's what I hope for.

Only reason we stopped really, is because we had our fourth.
They'd changed the parenting room, so that you just had a radio of the sermon being preached, rather than being able to see through a one-way window.
My wife was nursing at the time with the fourth, and so really it was me in the audience.
And 50% of the time, it's like why am I bothering? Oh, for the kids... but then it didn't always turn out for them.
So getting ready, and all that... just stopped. We might pick up where we left off though.
It'd be good I think. I feel under no obligation either way.

Certainly don't think someone a "backslider" for not attending a church.
Heck, most of them are probably in churches covering their sins. :P