Doublethink

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Doublethink

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I just had a thought in reference to being dual minded, I reckon some people worship their view of creation just as much as they worship Jesus (God).
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

This is not doublethink, theo you just picked teh first line...I was ROFL when I read how you used doublethink. Orwell is rolling in his grave, man. The rest of what you posted is meaningless.

This is doublethink.
To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself – that was the ultimate subtlety; consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink.
and...
The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them... To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies – all this is indispensably necessary. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

Danieltwotwenty wrote: You can believe what is written in the Bible and still believe that God guided the Evolutionary process.
According to the evolutionary process the first life forms died off to be replaced with others. This means that there was death in the world before Adam was created. This contradicts what the Bible says.
Sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned
(Romans 5:12 ESV)
When you use the Bible as a science book you have missed the whole point of it, the Bible is the why not the how.
I am using the Bible as a history book. It tells us what happened and how long it took.

Some of the posts mentioned the age of the universe. Genesis only describes the creation of the earth, not the rest of the universe. On the fourth day God placed lights in the sky. It doesn't say the the bodies that were the source of those lights were created then. This is a more complete explanation of what I believe about creation.

http://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... lly-say-2/
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

theophilus wrote:
According to the evolutionary process the first life forms died off to be replaced with others. This means that there was death in the world before Adam was created. This contradicts what the Bible says.
Can someone else please respond to this one? I'm afraid I've beaten this poor horse to death.
:beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

And theophilus,

Please tell us where the bible says HOW the earth was created, as you asserted earlier.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

So, there was NO death whatsoever before Adam and Eve sinned?
So, this means that Adam and Eve were immortal before they sinned?
That all animals in the world, not just Eden, were immortal?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

So what did they all of those carnivores eat? Tofu? What about plant death? Plants are living things.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Philip wrote:What about plant death? Plants are living things.
If I may quote an eminent scholar on this matter:
RickD wrote:Can someone else please respond to this one? I'm afraid I've beaten this poor horse to death.
:beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat:
I really wish both sides would stop producing straw men. :shakehead:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

theophilus wrote:According to the evolutionary process the first life forms died off to be replaced with others. This means that there was death in the world before Adam was created. This contradicts what the Bible says.
The Bible does not say there was no death before the fall, that is just your interpretation.

http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/death.html

So no, Evolution does not contradict the Bible whatsoever.
I am using the Bible as a history book. It tells us what happened and how long it took.
No it does not, please point to the passage where it says exactly how old the Earth is. Now your not even reading it as history and adding things which are not there, I would be careful doing that.

Comparing a creation perspective to worshiping Baal is downright disgusting and I ask you again how can you profess Jesus' name while at the same time be lying about another's creation perspective and then vilifying people's faith in God, will you dodge my question again.
Last edited by Danieltwotwenty on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:
Philip wrote:What about plant death? Plants are living things.
If I may quote an eminent scholar on this matter:
RickD wrote:Can someone else please respond to this one? I'm afraid I've beaten this poor horse to death.
I really wish both sides would stop producing straw men. :shakehead:
Jac, I sure hope you weren't calling me an eminent scholar. I'm not eminent. And I'm definitely not a scholar. I've never been so insulted. :crying:

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I'm an eminem scholar.

FL y:-B
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I'm an eminem scholar.

FL y:-B
I used to work at an M & M factory. I got fired for throwing away all the W's.

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote: I used to work at an M & M factory. I got fired for throwing away all the W's.
I used to work at a Smarties factory. I got fired because I wasn't qualified.

FL y:-/2
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote:
So what did they all of those carnivores eat? Tofu? What about plant death? Plants are living things.
Indeed, hence my question....
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

PaulSacramento wrote:Indeed, hence my question....
. . . .

:?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.