Atheistic Hatred

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Atheistic Hatred

Post by PaulSacramento »

Beanybag wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:What exactly is the "atheist moral system" and where did it co me from?
I have the fall back that some god may have given me the moral capacity I have, but I'll also answer your question. There's a lot of rational reasons to be moral, as well as some natural tendencies to do so. The golden rule is derivable by entirely rational reasons (it's logically inconsistent to not follow it). Other morals come from a possible evolved morality that we got as a social species (there's some empirical evidence to support this e.g. lower level morality in lesser species) - that wouldn't make it objectively binding, however, and I understand that. It would explain why moral behavior propagates in a society and why it would enforce itself in the form of laws. Beyond that, all I can say for why I behave morally is that I choose to, and I choose to based on the reasons I gave above. I understand that might not be sufficient for you, but it is sufficient for me. I am not trying to persuade anyone to my world view, I only wish to have a conversation and to defend my world view.
You say you choose to be moral and I respect that since, in the end, that is what we ALL do.
But what if I chose NOT to be, would you have a problem with that and why?
Stygian
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Atheistic Hatred

Post by Stygian »

I'd like to just quickly add that Anders Behring Breivik wasn't really a "Christian."

"If you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God then you are a religious Christian. Myself and many more like me do not necessarily have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God. We do however believe in Christianity as a cultural, social, identity and moral platform."

"I'm not going to pretend I'm a very religious person as that would be a lie. I've always been very pragmatic and influenced by my secular surroundings and environment."
SOURCE: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/186020/ ... ce-key.htm

He's involved in Christianity only as an obese man is involved in a cooking competition where the audience judges the food. The obese man isn't there for the most important aspect (the cooking aspect) just as Breivik isn't involved in Christianity for the most important aspect (the spiritual aspect).