Choosing a Faith

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Smartie of the Soul
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Choosing a Faith

Post by Smartie of the Soul »

Unless you've been a Christian/Jew/Muslim all your life, how did you decide that it was the right religion for you? There are so many, and you'll never be able to prove which is 'right'.

If I did, suddenly, feel the need for spiritual guidance I'd probably go with a Godless religion. I don't think that there's anything but humans and our feelings, morals, souls etc.

Actually, I don't believe in souls. :lol:

So... how did you decide on Christianity? Did you look at other religions? Were you brought up Christian, but didn't decide to believe it until later?
... I'm Humanist.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I did grow up in a Christian home. I also read the Bible when young as well as attended church. The conviction in my heart as well of these other influences led to my becoming a Christian.

When I was in high school and college I read two books that convinced me of the truth in Scripture.

One was More than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell and probably more so Mere Christianity by C S Lewis.

Between all of those influences, I was convinced that not only was I a sinner in need of a savior, but also that savior was Jesus Christ.

NO other faith provides such a beautiful and also stunning explanation for life.
zoegirl
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: Choosing a Faith

Post by bizzt »

Smartie of the Soul wrote:Unless you've been a Christian/Jew/Muslim all your life, how did you decide that it was the right religion for you? There are so many, and you'll never be able to prove which is 'right'.

If I did, suddenly, feel the need for spiritual guidance I'd probably go with a Godless religion. I don't think that there's anything but humans and our feelings, morals, souls etc.

Actually, I don't believe in souls. :lol:

So... how did you decide on Christianity? Did you look at other religions? Were you brought up Christian, but didn't decide to believe it until later?
Actually if you are a Science Buff... There is Proof for a soul. I can give you a link to that later though. The Historical Proof of the Bible was a big one at least from a Tangible Side. Realization of Man named Jesus, who he claimed to be, the People that believed in him, and the realization of people being killed because they would not denounce Christ even with Death knocking. Why would someone proclaim this? What makes someone believe so much that it is truth and then Die for their claim. Either these Jews/Gentiles were Lunatic or had a Genuine Belief that was supported by Genuine Truth. I of course choose the Latter.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

zoegirl wrote:I did grow up in a Christian home. I also read the Bible when young as well as attended church. The conviction in my heart as well of these other influences led to my becoming a Christian.

When I was in high school and college I read two books that convinced me of the truth in Scripture.

One was More than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell and probably more so Mere Christianity by C S Lewis.

Between all of those influences, I was convinced that not only was I a sinner in need of a savior, but also that savior was Jesus Christ.

NO other faith provides such a beautiful and also stunning explanation for life.
zoegirl
Yep so True ZoeGirl
Smartie of the Soul
Acquainted Member

Post by Smartie of the Soul »

why does life actually need an explanation? Surely the 'explanation' is just this: do as you would be done by.

It's not that simple, but it's the jist of humanism.
... I'm Humanist.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

GOod grief

I would think that all of humanity, from art to music to science and religion, shows that we strive to figure out why things are the way they are, how they ought to be, what are the reason when they aren't the way they ought to be, and how to solve these problems.

Explaining phenomenon in nature, psychology...

Our place in the universe, our origins, why there is selfishness, evil, joy, altruism....beauty, truth, goodness...

HOWEVER, you bring up an excellent point...it SHOULD be as simple as do unto others as... :)

PROBLEM? as simple as this is, explaining why we DON'T do unto others as we would have done to us....and why we expect and want others to still be good to us!!!

Whether you believe in God or not, we are all ultimatley mad when people don't behave as they ought to. There is now an entire subset of evolutionary studies focusing how ethics and morality evolved. Obviously, this is something that even naturalists focus on.

To me, absolutely, life needs explaining.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

zoegirl wrote:GOod grief

I would think that all of humanity, from art to music to science and religion, shows that we strive to figure out why things are the way they are, how they ought to be, what are the reason when they aren't the way they ought to be, and how to solve these problems.

Explaining phenomenon in nature, psychology...

Our place in the universe, our origins, why there is selfishness, evil, joy, altruism....beauty, truth, goodness...

HOWEVER, you bring up an excellent point...it SHOULD be as simple as do unto others as... :)

PROBLEM? as simple as this is, explaining why we DON'T do unto others as we would have done to us....and why we expect and want others to still be good to us!!!

Whether you believe in God or not, we are all ultimatley mad when people don't behave as they ought to. There is now an entire subset of evolutionary studies focusing how ethics and morality evolved. Obviously, this is something that even naturalists focus on.

To me, absolutely, life needs explaining.
So TRUE!!!
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Smartie of the Soul wrote:why does life actually need an explanation? Surely the 'explanation' is just this: do as you would be done by.

It's not that simple, but it's the jist of humanism.
Smartie,

I would highly recommend these two books, although probably Mere Christianity would be my first choice. It is a very compelling read and very logical.